In praise of Trace

706jim706jim Solar Expert Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
From my signature you can see that I've used solar for quite some time. My original 180 watt system in 1994 was considered "large" at the time.
I just had to comment after reading the tribulations that others have experienced with equipment over time that my Trace components have performed flawlessly over a looooong time period. DR1524 inverter goes back to 1994 and C40 charge controller to 1996. While future system upgrades will include an MPPT controller and a pure sine inverter, how can anyone not be impressed with these old units that have never given me a problem.
In particular, my fridge requires that the inverter run for 6 months 24/7 and it hasn't let me down to date.
For those who appreciate fine quality American made equipment!
Island cottage solar system with 2400 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1kw facing southwest 400watt ancient Arco's facing south.Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Trace C40 PWM controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 27th year.

Comments

• icarusicarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Trace (no pun intended) the lineage from Trace to Outback, to Midnight...Good engineering and good customer service.  The common link?   Robin, BoB and Mary Gudgel.    You could even include Magnum the mix.  I still run an ancient C40 on one installation, as well as some Arco panels.  I think I bought my first PV to charge a radio battery and reading light in ~1989. 

tony
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭
    706jim said:
    From my signature you can see that I've used solar for quite some time. My original 180 watt system in 1994 was considered "large" at the time.
    I just had to comment after reading the tribulations that others have experienced with equipment over time that my Trace components have performed flawlessly over a looooong time period. DR1524 inverter goes back to 1994 and C40 charge controller to 1996. While future system upgrades will include an MPPT controller and a pure sine inverter, how can anyone not be impressed with these old units that have never given me a problem.
    In particular, my fridge requires that the inverter run for 6 months 24/7 and it hasn't let me down to date.
    For those who appreciate fine quality American made equipment!
    "In particular, my fridge requires that the inverter run for 6 months 24/7 and it hasn't let me down to date."  You run the fridge for six months/year then? Still an incredibly long lasting unit.

My Samsung fridge seems to be on too much lately. Need to check power consumption (not as easy as it should be) and put some foam insulation panels on the sides if the fridge is OK. I may be in the market for a new fridge.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    Some fridges don't have the old "coils" for removing the heat , they use the skin of the fridge . Maybe yours is this type and that's why it's running too long since you put foam on the sides

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric, 700 ah @24 volt AGM battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Have not placed any additional insulation on it due to fears about interfering with normal operations. I'm not sure it is faulty. It has two smallish 300 watt compressors instead of one large one. My overnight battery voltage has been slipping and I keep looking at the fridge as a possible culprit. Could be the freezer. Could be colder batteries. Could be older batteries. Could be shorter days. Could be something else. Could be all of the above - but I do feel that the overnight voltage is slipping faster than it should be. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A kill-a-watt type device can be handy to narrow down the possibilities.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
    edited September 24 #7
    Estragon said:
    A kill-a-watt type device can be handy to narrow down the possibilities.
    Of course - if I could get to the fridge plug more easily. I'd do it now but headed out tomorrow and I want a 24 hour sample. Hmmm - maybe a 72 hour would be better.
    Alright - going for a multi-day KwH reading. Seems like quite often it is just the fan making noise rather than the compressor. We shall see. 
    No because system voltage always drops when the fridge kicks on. Once again - electronics messing with me.