Conext SW4024 Fan

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Anyone notice how often the cooling fan runs on the SW4024? Mine is running more since the weather has warmed. Unit does not seem overheated. Just wanted to hear other experiences.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In a tropical climate where the ambient temperature rarely drops below 25°C the fans run 24/7, both original fans in my unit failed, one at 6 and the other at 9 months. The cause was the circlip became dislodged creating axial play thus interference with the outer case, replaced them with a pair of $3 fans which have so far have not had any such problems ~18 months 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmar
    mcgivor said:
    In a tropical climate where the ambient temperature rarely drops below 25°C the fans run 24/7, both original fans in my unit failed, one at 6 and the other at 9 months. The cause was the circlip became dislodged creating axial play thus interference with the outer case, replaced them with a pair of $3 fans which have so far have not had any such problems ~18 months 

Good to know. What fans, brand and part #, did you replace them with. Mine only run when it is hot and not long at any time as far as I can tell. I have had no issues but whenever something different happens I like to do research.
  • mcgivor
    Don't know the model #, they are branded CNDF, 12VDC, just a regular 120 mm. puck fan purchased at a local electronics store, had to splice the plug from the original ones onto the replacements. With occasional use the original ones would probably last as long as the warranty, but running 24/7 365 is not something they can tolerate, based on both failing within a year. Warranty would have replaced them, if I shipped the inverter for replacement, the cost of which would be more than the cost of 33 fans, each time, so I'm 64 fans ahead of the game, without much downtime. Schneider should really source another fan supplier, perhaps I'll send them a message because 6 months is a pitifully short a life expectancy, in my opinion.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmar
    Thanks, stuck the info in a file in case I need it.
    Hope they respond to your communication, weak link does nobody any good.
  • stmar
    Since it has been warm I have been keeping an eye on my inverter. The fans have come on a few times and last time I caught it I noticed that the air coming out of the inverter was actually cool, so I guess the fans are doing their job. Hopefully I will not have the issue that mcgivor had since the fans are on intermittently.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #7
    Mine do not come on very often.  They both come on for a few seconds at SW power up.  Not much more than that.  But I do have a separate fan on the other side of my Epanel that gently pulls are thru the SW 24/7.  so maybe that is why my SW fans hardly ever come on.
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • stmar
    That may be an idea, I have a couple of fans from and old Trace inverter that I salvaged. I could set those up externally with some type of temp switch. That might help the SW fans on hot days.
  • mcgivor
    Just let them run, they are easy to replace, about 1/2 an hour and very inexpensive, perhaps they have changed them to another model on later versions, mine is 2015, the cheap replacements are still running 24/7 for ~ two years now, they cost <$4 apiece so no big deal.