I will see if they came out w/something newer than 01.07.01 bn0003

• DickyDck
    DickyDck Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭
    the XW6848 is on bn0004 which is what I'm on, not sure about the XW6048
  • paulcheung
    paulcheung Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited July 2019 #64
    DickyDck said:
    Coming back to this, now have 16 batteries, 2 strings of 8, 48v each string. Set Inverter and Controllers to 440ah. Today is a semi sunny day, some roaming clouds occasionally blocking my array. Been kinda sitting here watching the paint dry and what I have noticed as cursory results...

1. THe situation only happens usually when I'm above 4500w generation, but did happen when under. It has been sitting in the 4k range for a while and has not dropped like it used to.

2. Still drops to 0 when clouds roll in and darken the sky heavily, then after a few seconds it climbs back up to 1k-3k for overcast power production, and will climb back up when the clouds fly past. So anytime there is a drastic drop in sunlight the issue still seems to occur. 

3. The batteries don't seem to switch from charge/discharge as fast as I noticed before.

Of course this is less than 24 hours worth of results, but it seems adding another string has done "something" good. It is nice to see power generation above 4k steady without total kill drops. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. BTW I did a master reset to Factory after adding the batteries and setting all the parameters again. :)

Can you tell me how do you limit your charge current pumping to the battery bank? you are selling back the plus power to the power company after the house load is satisfied. So your charge controller pump the all power it can get from the panels to the load and grid. When there is a problem on the grid either over frequency or over voltage or under voltage. The XW6848 will stop inverting and try to qualify the grid for 5 minutes. 

While it doing that it pass the power from the grid to your load instead from the PV. the charge controllers will have no load and pumping all the power from the PV to your battery banks. In your case the 24 320watts Panel will give you from 100 to 155 amps depend on the condition of the sky and the voltage of your battery. 

how do you prevent your AGM battery from get damage from all those large amperes pumping to them for 5 minutes? I ask because I have the same problem. Mine battery bank are FLA 370 amperes. should be charged at 35 to 50 amps Max. but sometime I see 80 to 100 amps pumping to it. 

Your case is better than mine. at least you can pump 20@ charge current to the AGM, that is about 88 amps, but 150 amps would be still a problem if it does very often.

Best wishes

XW6848+ Magnum 4448PAE (Backup) 7800 watts total mixed Panels, 370 AH @48volts battery bank. Grid assist and soon be Tied.
  • DickyDck
    DickyDck said:
    Coming back to this, now have 16 batteries, 2 strings of 8, 48v each string. Set Inverter and Controllers to 440ah. Today is a semi sunny day, some roaming clouds occasionally blocking my array. Been kinda sitting here watching the paint dry and what I have noticed as cursory results...

1. THe situation only happens usually when I'm above 4500w generation, but did happen when under. It has been sitting in the 4k range for a while and has not dropped like it used to.

2. Still drops to 0 when clouds roll in and darken the sky heavily, then after a few seconds it climbs back up to 1k-3k for overcast power production, and will climb back up when the clouds fly past. So anytime there is a drastic drop in sunlight the issue still seems to occur. 

3. The batteries don't seem to switch from charge/discharge as fast as I noticed before.

Of course this is less than 24 hours worth of results, but it seems adding another string has done "something" good. It is nice to see power generation above 4k steady without total kill drops. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. BTW I did a master reset to Factory after adding the batteries and setting all the parameters again. :)

Can you tell me how do you limit your charge current pumping to the battery bank? you are selling back the plus power to the power company after the house load is satisfied. So your charge controller pump the all power it can get from the panels to the load and grid. When there is a problem on the grid either over frequency or over voltage or under voltage. The XW6848 will stop inverting and try to qualify the grid for 5 minutes. 

While it doing that it pass the power from the grid to your load instead from the PV. the charge controllers will have no load and pumping all the power from the PV to your battery banks. In your case the 24 320watts Panel will give you from 100 to 155 amps depend on the condition of the sky and the voltage of your battery. 

how do you prevent your AGM battery from get damage from all those large amperes pumping to them for 5 minutes? I ask because I have the same problem. Mine battery bank are FLA 370 amperes. should be charged at 35 to 50 amps Max. but sometime I see 80 to 100 amps pumping to it. 

Your case is better than mine. at least you can pump 20@ charge current to the AGM, that is about 88 amps, but 150 amps would be still a problem if it does very often.

Best wishes

So mine doesn’t ever go down for the full 5 minute cools down thing. When mine stops inverting it only lasts for at the longest 20-30 seconds. Also something I have done recently is turned down the “grid support volts” from 64 down to 56, which according to the way I’m reading the owners manual still puts it in “Advanced grid support” but it has made my system more consistent. Does yours actually go into that restart mode and you see the 600 second timer on the inverter? If so what is your error code?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The XW6048 never got firmware to limit current in bulk only. XW+ and XW pro can. Take a look below. I and a few others are trying to get Schneider to add this to the mppt firmware. If this is something you want you need to fill out the request and tell them.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• DickyDck
    The XW6048 never got firmware to limit current in bulk only. XW+ and XW pro can. Take a look below. I and a few others are trying to get Schneider to add this to the mppt firmware. If this is something you want you need to fill out the request and tell them.

ahh, that makes sense. why would they not create a matching firmware for the 6048? it is more or less the same thing but less total power right?
  • Dave Angelini
    XW6048 is not supported for 10 years now because of many reasons including memory limitations, parts, and topology.
    Or you could say they do this to make people realize if they depend on this equipment, they need to be responsible.
    E-mail [email protected]

• DickyDck
    So it is EOL then, but... they still sell it or are the ones I see from all the companies old stock?
  • paulcheung

My problem is not the XW6848+ charging the battery bank. what it did is come off the house load and draw current from the grid and leave the charge controllers have full power to charge the battery. if that happen when the battery is not fully charged and the voltage is at around 53 volts. my two outback Flexmax pumping around 100 amps to the battery bank until it reach absorb voltage which I set at 60 volts on both controllers. or the count down finished and start to sell back to the grid. Thanks you.
    XW6848+ Magnum 4448PAE (Backup) 7800 watts total mixed Panels, 370 AH @48volts battery bank. Grid assist and soon be Tied.
  • Dave Angelini
    DickyDck said:
    So it is EOL then, but... they still sell it or are the ones I see from all the companies old stock?
    I do not know what you are seeing.....

5 years ago the the 5 year warranty ran out on XW6048 and if you buy one, it  is not supported by Schneider Electric. There probably is some support for very large installations but I am guessing on that one.

There is support from the secondary repair market but that changes as these folks go in and out of business.

I do not understand the previous post. Mixing makes of equipment is very hard to do grid tied.
    E-mail [email protected]

• DickyDck
    I'm sorry, I got Paul and bsair mixed up. Bsair is on the 6048, Paul is on the 6848.
  • paulcheung
    DickyDck said:

So mine doesn’t ever go down for the full 5 minute cools down thing. When mine stops inverting it only lasts for at the longest 20-30 seconds. Also something I have done recently is turned down the “grid support volts” from 64 down to 56, which according to the way I’m reading the owners manual still puts it in “Advanced grid support” but it has made my system more consistent. Does yours actually go into that restart mode and you see the 600 second timer on the inverter? If so what is your error code?
    When my XW6848 encounter an error like AI over frequency  or AI under voltage. It pass the grid to the load and start the 5 minutes counting. Mean while the charge controllers are beating the poor battery bank with 80 to 100 amps charge current. 
  • DickyDck
    DickyDck said:

When my XW6848 encounter an error like AI over frequency  or AI under voltage. It pass the grid to the load and start the 5 minutes counting. Mean while the charge controllers are beating the poor battery bank with 80 to 100 amps charge current. 

Yeah, I am not sure I can help since mine doesn't ever error out and start the count down. If you are getting AI frequency errors, I think you might have an issue with the grid coming in? I think default frequency low is 55 and high is 65, if you are getting errors and countdowns that must mean you are outside of that range. I didn't see you list it out in your earlier post, but what kind of charge controller do you have?
  • paulcheung
    I have 2 Outback FlexMax 60 and 80. 
  • DickyDck
    I have 2 Outback FlexMax 60 and 80. 
    Ok that’s the issue here, you aren’t going to be able to limit the charge controllers since you are mixing the manufacturer of your components. My system is all Schneider and the inverter and 2 charge controllers communicate with each other to tell each other what they are doing so that over charging doesn’t happen. If you want to be able to limit the charge controller over charging issue you are seeing, you will have to get some Schneider charge controllers.