SW Shutting off Power When "Transferring" from Grid to Charge

Options
MrM1
MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

This has happened 3 or 4 times now in the past few months. I am in Grid pass thru. AC in from grid is connected. There is a load of about 300 - 500 Watts that i can see from the display passing thru the SW from grid to loads. The inverter portion of the SW is Enabled, but Load current is being supplied from the grid and Nothing is being supplied from the battery bank. SW reports Inverter Status = Enabled / AC Pass Thru, Charger Status = Disabled / AC Good.

Now I Want to run a charge or EQ for the batteries, so I set all the charge parameters, set the Recharge Volts to a voltage higher than the current bank voltage, and then Enable the SW Charger from the Combox and a LAN Computer.

Bam !! As soon as the charger is enabled, I am sitting in the dark for a few seconds. Clocks start flashing, refrigerator starts doing it's "Power went out and I am restarting" dance. The "black out" lasts all of a second, give or take a millisecond.

This has never happened in the past, but is happened more and more frequently lately. Why is the SW doing this? Is this a Mechanical Transfer Switch thing or a programing glitch. Kinda has me worried after the post I read yesterday of this guys SW catching fire.

Same thing has also happened when I enabled AC support mode once or twice, but I thought that was not big deal because (for whatever reason - I don't recall) I had the Inverter Disabled. So when AC support mode kicked in there was no inverter to invert power. But still odd.

Thoughts? (@Dave Angelini )

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion

Comments

• Solfyr
    Solfyr Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options

According to the owner's manual , it has three different levels of logging :

• faults
    • warnings
    • events

To view device info logs:

1. From the device Setup menu screen, use the up or down arrow buttons to 

highlight View Device Info.

2. Press Enter. The Dev Info screen appears.

3. Use the up or down arrow buttons to select which information log you want to 

view then press Enter to confirm a selection. The log screen appears.

4. Use the up or down arrow buttons to scroll the list then press Enter to view 

the particular log entry.

5. Press the Exit button to return to previous screens.

My guess is , that at least the "event" of switching on charging mode , would be logged . Likely also some "warning" level notices may be logged . A lot of Linux computing programs issue "warnings" though , that are "unnecessary" ....

• MrM1
    Options

No warnings or faults, Not Active or Historical. Looking into how to find the "Events" you noted, as an Event is not in the drop down list for Warnings or Faults. (or perhaps an Event is the general name for the first 2)

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    edited April 2019 #4
    Options

Looking at the combox screen, Events is the general menu heading term used for Warning and Faults. So an event log would be either a log of warnings or faults? Yet there does appear to be an Event log somewhere. I see it in the manual listed for the System Control Panel (SCP), but have yet to find it in the Combox screen. But as for Warnings and Faults, There neither. I can also install an SD card into the Combox and log more info. I need to find my SD card, start logging and see what I get.

• MrM1
    Options

@mcgivor don't you have an SW? Ever see anything like this?

• MrM1
    Options

Ok found a log file by date in the combox. Events for yesterday only show that it was disconnected and restarted / reconnected at the time of the shut down. In the Faults warning file there is no data.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was wondering if maybe the charger kicking on pulled grid AC out of spec and caused the reboot, but you'd think that would be logged somewhere.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • MrM1
    edited April 2019 #8
    Options

Yes that is what I was thinking / hoping ... but no good. No faults or warnings recorded.

@Solfyr I did look at my SCP and it does not have the Events page listed as the manual I looked at online shows. So what you found must be using a newer firmware. I have not done firmware updates of any of the Schneider devices (SW inverter, Combox or SCP) So I may do updates, but looking at the inverter update list, There does not seem to be any changes that would indicate what I am experiencing as an issue. I am 1 revision behind on the SCP and Combox and 2 revisions behind on the SW Inverter.

Does the latest firmware contain all revisions? Or does one have to walk thru each successive firmware revision one at a time?

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Being that I'm off grid I have no grid input, since the LFP install I've not needed the generator, when I did, I never experienced anything abnormal. The only issue, other than firmware, have been the failure of both fans, axial play causing interference with the housing, the cheap replacement fans have been far more reliable.

Thinking about your issue, I wonder if it has something to do with the settings creating confusion, if there have been numerous changes, it might be wise to default and start from scratch. Just a thought.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MrM1
    Options

Yes I guess a full factory reset would not be a bad idea.

I was just mostly concerned that it might me something mechanical like a contractor that was malfunctioning.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Seems to me a transfer switch contactor is at least a "person of interest", if not the prime suspect. Would be nice if it was just a tweak in settings though.

I wonder if there's a test (eg resistance across switch) you can do to rule out a problem with the switch?

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • MrM1
    Options

Would be nice if I know of such a test. It is under warranty - I think the SW carries 2 years? Which would take me to October