Mangum PT100 error F09 (Internal Phase Fault)

Options
Katherine
Katherine Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭

I had a 24V off grid system installed last fall and have repeating F09 errors which clear after a few seconds. My installer has tried several things to fix it (first of all installing a new PT 100 from Mangum, which did not fix the problem). Mangum has offered suggestions but nothing has worked and wondering if any of you might have some insight. Here are system details:

8 285 watt modules on pole about 200 feet from the house, run underground in pvc conduit

Magnum MS4024 PAE inverter/charger  and Mangum PT 100 controller

4 @ ROLLS 6CS25P lead acid batteries 

Installer has replaced the fuses at the panels, disconnected the power surge protector at the panels temporarily, rerun the ground wire at the house to make it agree exactly to the Mangum diagram, replaced the PV breaker, checked all connections. Still faults.

The situation that creates the faults is where the watt output from the panels increases abruptly. Examples: a cold cloudy/sunny day where it goes from 300 watts to 2200 watts as a cloud clears. Or when in float but I turn on something in the house that draws 1500 watts and the panel output shoots up from 200 watts to 1700 watts.

The good but weird thing is the fault clears itself - according to the manual it is a fault that should have to be reset. Here is the fault description "The PT controller turned off to help protect itself because one or more of the internal phases is faulty, or the phase signals are not in sync with each other."

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you post the Vmp and Voc specs for the panels, and if you know, how wired (2 in series?)

The symptoms sound more like a pv overvoltage, which tend to happen on cold broken cloudy days, and within reason will self-clear (I think Magnum has a grace zone much like Midnite "hypervoc").

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Katherine
    Options

Panels are 2 X 4 in series and then paralleled.

Vmp 127.6V Voc 156.4V  (not sure what this means but copied from an email to Mangum from installer)

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The VOC is listed is at 20°C, at cooler temperatures it increases, so probably the voltage has exceed the maximum allowable, I believe Outback has a string calculator which Witt determine the optimum arrangement and includes temperature in the calculation.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Katherine
    Options

Thanks for that info - we've been having this problem in hot or cold weather though, since Sept so thinking it isn't temperature related.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just checked the specs, the maximum input of the PT 100 is 240V, so unlikely the problem.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Options

According to the manual I have, it looks like the controller soft faults at ~ 187v pv string input. I assume the Voc of 156.4 is string Voc (4 panels in series? - as per panel specs, not measured), and that the installer sent this to Magnum suggests they're already considering this as a possible contributing factor.

Aside from temperature, wire size & length could be a factor. With low current, voltage will be higher than with higher current.

Are there any coils of extra wire between the array and controller, or controller and bank?

I'm not sure what "phase signals" the controller is indicating a fault with, so it might be best to let the installer keep working with Magnum for now to get it sorted. Maybe a bug in the mppt algo or exceptions handling in firmware? It does read like it should be a fault requiring a reset.

Please post as things develop.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Katherine
    Options

Thanks for those ideas, I'll pass on to installer. I do know there are no extra coils of wire between the array and controller and the controller and bank (which are only about 2 feet apart)

• Estragon
    Options

One other thought; are there any other wires (eg inverter AC outputs) run in the same conduit as, or otherwise parallel to DC wire?

I'm wondering about this (or coiled wire) resulting in magnetic fields generated when current flow increases and making things "interesting".

Off-grid.  
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a warranty problem and it is good that you have one. Get them to replace the charger or fix it.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Katherine
    Options

Thanks Estragon I will check on that also but I don't think so.