Optimal terminal utilisation of batteries in parallel

MattyMatty Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
When connecting batteries in parallel, is it necessarily optimal to utilise the positive and negative terminal that are furthest apart for output?

Comments

• EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good primer on parallel connection of batteries:
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • MattyMatty Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Estragon said:
    A good primer on parallel connection of batteries:
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Interesting article. So let me get this right:

For connecting 4 batteries in parallel, method 4 is the most efficient and implements positive to positive connections between battery numbers:

1<->2
    2<->4
    3<->4

and negative to negative connections between battery numbers:

1<->2
    1<->3
    3<->4

There is no connectivity between batteries 2 and 3.

The positive terminal on battery 2 and the negative terminal on battery 3 are used for input and output.

I use an 80A fuse which would attach to the positive terminal on battery 2.

Have I got this right?

When I connect 2 batteries in parallel, I use 20cm long heavy duty copper cable. It is only just long enough to reach between the 2 terminals. I figured the shorter the better. If I had to wire 2 batteries with another battery in between then I would need longer cable. Does this mean that I could still use the shorter cable between adjacent batteries and longer cables to connect non adjacent batteries or should all cables connecting terminals be of the same (longer) length?

Now I am likely to be connecting batteries in parallel. How should these be wired for optimum efficiency?

With 3 batteries in parallel, can connecting 1<->2 and  2<->3 with the positive terminal on battery 1 and the negative terminal on battery 3 for input/output be improved upon? Is there a better configuration involving 1<->3 connectivity?