Weirdest thing Ever.

Options
2»

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off that aims is a boat anchor, get rid of it.
    dont even consider the power jack, that thing is worse
    magnasine and outback both make good inverters suitable 
    but what to do first....
    pull all the weak batteries and charge them at 10% of capacity for about 6 hours at the manufacturers absorb setting, probably 14.3 volts. 
    during charging feel the sides of the batteries for a hot spot, better yet if you have an  temperature gun check the sides of the battery about half way up the cells, a bad cell will be much hotter
    record voltage of each battery
    after charging let them set not connected for 2-3 hours
    record voltage of each battery
    if you find any that have sunk to 10 volts, that one is junk...it has a dead cell, very unlikely to recover
    any down to 8-9 volts 2 dead cells...junk
    shorted cells get very hot.
    I get cell tower batteries free from cell companies, they are 105ah AGM made by cdtechnologies.
    from each series string of 10 batteries I usually find one or two that have hot cells on charging maybe 15-20 degrees hotter than the rest, those are recycled immediately. I have never recovered a failed AGM. OK I will admit that I am in favor of FLA's...flooded as I can measure specific gravity and get 12-20 years from a set, mind you I have done electricity for 50+ years, I log all my batteries every month, s.g. readings , temperature of each cell during charging, temperature of every high current connection, etc. Systems fail due to LOM!   Lack of maintaince.

enough said
    get a more approiate inverter, skip the Chinese junk!  The only Asian  inverter that is worth buying is the Cotek, also rebranded as Samlex America
    I think I would recommend the MagnaSine MS4448   If you don't really need 120/240 get the 120 volt one
    i use a MagnaSine MS4024AE , 24 volt, 4kw unit 120/240 volt. and it works well,  My next inverter will be a MidNite but they are still in development and not available yet

david
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forgot to mention, any sign of gassing during charging is a bad omen....its been cooked
    AGM's should never vent
    david
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • sawmill
    sawmill Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you given any thought to a 48v forklift battery of suitable size?  Easy to check specific gravity, eliminates all the interconnections,  can use an Anderson connector which provides a convenient disconnect when needed,  most come in their own steel case which makes for easier placement, no exchange batteries required,  you will own the scrap value at the end of life.
  • HRTanner
    HRTanner Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to scrap the whole system if I can ever get anyone on the phone at NAWS, I just can't catch anyone there because of my work schedule and their limited hours. 
    I am installing everything in a room off my garage so I want no venting batteries, and am looking at the Battle Borns just for that reason. 
    I am guessing 4KW will be plenty for everything in my house, I'm just trying to figure out if it can sustain the Mitsubishi zoned A/C system. Its one of those 'Happy wife, Happy Life' things.
    Aimes Power 12KW Inverter/Charger, 15-285W Panels in 5/3 config, Aimes Power 60A MPPT Controller. 12-200Ah Renogy Batteries in 4/3 config for 48Vs
    Off Grid, Whole house system in the Mohave Desert.
  • Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Options
    HRTanner said:
    I'm going to scrap the whole system if I can ever get anyone on the phone at NAWS, I just can't catch anyone there .................
    Have you tried email? I have had a good email exchange with one of the sales consultants while I am traveling in China.
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • HRTanner
    Options
    no, I guess since I'm only an hour and half drive from them it would be easier to reach them, but I guess not.

Aimes Power 12KW Inverter/Charger, 15-285W Panels in 5/3 config, Aimes Power 60A MPPT Controller. 12-200Ah Renogy Batteries in 4/3 config for 48Vs
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the voltage and ah of your existing battery bank ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• HRTanner
    Options
    48v, 600Ah
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HRTanner said:
    48v, 600Ah
    so you currently have a 28,800 wh battery.  To get the same performance,  about half that size  14.4kwh would be about equivalent, loosing the bottom 50% that is seldom used in lead acid.   Now if you have destroyed your AGM bank in 2 years, it was actually too small or you overcharged it     

So you HAVE to get your daily usage settled up right first.    Do you have any sort of metering to measure what you are consuming??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,