Amperage Questions SW4024

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Still getting familiar with the SW4024 and want to make sure I am thinking correctly. On the battery screen of the SCP it gives amperage in or out, + or -, from the bank. I assume these are DC amps? When setting the charge rate I also assume that those are DC amps since the inverter only has a 30 amp AC breaker and the max charge rate is 90 amps? And in a related train of thought how would the charge amps, if they are DC, convert to AC amps coming from the grid power source? Is the formula 240/24 for simplicity sake? At times the system will have a load of 3 amps and be pulling 5+ amps from the batteries so I assume the load amps are AC and the battery amps are DC? Lots of assuming and that is where I get into trouble, I think the Combox would probably lay all this out more clearly than just looking at the limited info on the SCP.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the combox would let you see the system graphically.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #3

On the battery screen of the SCP it gives amperage in or out, + or -, from the bank. I assume these are DC amps? 

To get a more dynamic view with the SCP, from the home screen, press enter, select device CSW 4024, enter meters. During setup the only time anything associated with AC is the input breaker, other than load shaving AC support , this is to ensure the inverter doesn't overload the circuitry during charging or pass through. As a rough guide the 240/24 formula is correct, but this varies in reality because the DC voltage changes depending on what mode it is in, or state of charge, example during equalization it could be 32V. The SCP has the same information as the graphics, one needs to visualize the system, a mental graphic, if you like, the Combox can do more including data logging, firmware update etc.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    To be honest, sometimes I have put a "known load" (AC or DC) on a system and then use a clamp meter to measure the AC or DC current to figure out what it is the system is telling me (AC amps, battery amps, +/- battery amps or not, etc.).

An AC/DC current clamp DMM (digital multi-meter--medium price range)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The SCP is great to have as a spare to the combox.

Combox has so much more value to a user that it really is not even close to being the same.

Just the 8 screen seven day running history that is not in the SCP is worth the cost.  If you want to use a computer.

I say that because there are many who do not want a computer. I sell them a combox anyway so I can use it. ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net