MC4 connector problem

Options
Nabiru3
Nabiru3 Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
So I understood that the MC4 connector can only accept a wire size between (12AWG - 10AWG) but what about if I want to connect a bigger wire to my solar panel ? Do I have to manually remove the MC4 of the back of the panel (but this will void the warranty of the panels) ? So what should I do to connect my solar panels using a bigger wire?

*BTW, the wire I am talking about is the wire between the solar panel array and the charge controller.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depending on the length and gauge required, a length of 8 gauge could be used, need 10 feet buy a 20' length and cut in half, one male one female on each. Think 8 gauge is the largest available  https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Cable-Extension-Resistant/dp/B00DY84ZUG
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Connect your 10AWG panels wires to a combiner box with breakers and then you will be able to use a single and bigger cable (#8, #6, #4AWG) from the combiner box to your controller or inverter/controller panel. You won't need to use MC4 on this single wire.