Conext XW+6848 Grid Support mode not working

Hi:
I recently installed a Schneider Conext XW+6848 for Solar PV self consumption with Grid Support mode. The way I understood it the PV panels + batteries would work off grid and the inverter inverting as long as the charge controller (Outback Flexmax 80) output DC voltage is above Grid Support Voltage set at 49.5v. I  have Sell = Disable and not  running Enhance Grid Support. Also AC Priority = unknown since my choices are AC1 or AC2 and if AC1 (grid) is selected inverting stops and status = ACPassThru all the time. Power consumption in AC1 reads 3w (129v  0 to .1A fluctuating) in the Meters menu option. No input in AC2 connected. No other schneider equipment installed.

Is my logic wrong or Am I missing something? Thanks.

Comments

• mcgivormcgivor Posts: 2,305Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25 #2
    If I'm not mistaken, the XW would use information from the charge controller or Conext battery monitor  to determine state of charge communicated over Xanbus, since your controller cannot communicate with the inverter and there is no battery  monitor , it may not have this capability.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable such as @Dave Angelini  could confirm whether this is the case, think I read this somewhere in a manual, but don't use grid personally.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 

• Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Posts: 4,085Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    You could call Schneider and ask them if this is new and under warranty?

I always have my clients use the same equipment and not mix it because if they have problems there is much more chance that a company like Schneider or Outback will be of help. There is always a time issue with support people and it is very easy to blame the the other company. There are quite a few other setting that you need to set BTW. How are you changing the setting if you have only the XW+?

I am out of time, good luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• medbillermedbiller Posts: 4Registered Users
    This is my first installation and I've come to realize exactly that, same brand in all mayor components will increase the chance of maximizing all the advertised features. Nevertheless, when any reputable company advertises these features they should include a disclaimer stating that any particular feature can only be implemented with same brand equipment. In the case of Schneider Electric Conext XW+6848, they do say that for ENHANCED GRID SUPPORT you need a same company charge controller. But they don't say it for non enhanced mode which is what I'm trying to accomplish. Thank you.
    Write it off to the learning curve!  With only 2 posts here you have learned alot already!  It takes some time to learn this!
    E-mail [email protected]

• WaterWheelWaterWheel Posts: 288Registered Users ✭✭✭
    I have a 3 year old XW+6848 but it doesn't have Enhanced Grid Support.      I ran it for the 1st year with a Magnum charge controller and the grid support feature worked fine.     It only cares about what the battery voltage is no matter whether the controller is sending power or not.

Do you have Grid Support enabled?      simple to miss that one...     
    As suggested by others perhaps the updated software from the Enhanced Grid Support feature makes the grid support require that the controller and inverter talk.       

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

He said he only has an XW+ and he would need to have an SCP, combox, or config tool to change settings. I asked him about this but......

Your XW+ can be updated to the latest firmware ;)

How is the water wheel business?
    E-mail [email protected]

• WaterWheelWaterWheel Posts: 288Registered Users ✭✭✭
    Since he has the ability to adjust settings like Grid Support voltages I assumed he had some ability to change programming.    My inability to program the Magnum controller is why I swapped to a Conext controller. 

I'm quite happy with the XW+ performance and would be weary of updating the programming.      Currently everything is working smoothly.       
    And the water wheel business was very strong last year but a little soft the last few months, still, I'm making sawdust most days and starting to make metal wheels.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

Sawdust is nice! making quite a bit myself. The smell of a woodshop :) Spring is so nice, if it could last thru summer.....

There have been quite a few improvements added but if you do not need them I get it. You can download the firmware and in the file there will be an acrobat file of all the historical changes for the device. If you do decide to do anything, update your combox first. There was recent firmware to make recovering a dead or bricked device easy. That can happen to someone who is learning or not following exactly.
    E-mail [email protected]

I only have the inverter (6848 XW+) with the SCM (as the front panel that comes with it is just a glorified on/off switch and unusable for programming). Grid Support is enabled. I'm doing everything as advertised and NOT using Enhanced Grid Support. Got the unit right after CAT 10 MARIA sometime in oct-nov 2017 and have not updated firmware. So far working great and harvesting an average of 10KwH daily but Grid Support as advertised not working.
    I have only heard of cat 1 thru  5 hurricanes... The manual states you need an SCP or better to program an XW. The advanced functions must be programmed in by the user or installer.
    E-mail [email protected]

Hearing is one thing...live it and you'll see...
    Most of my hurricane experience was in avoiding them.....

E-mail [email protected]

• EstragonEstragon Posts: 2,936Registered Users ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Beaufort force 10 (full gale)?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
    A force 10 is nothing compared to CAt 5 wind speeds. A walk in the park !
    E-mail [email protected]

• EstragonEstragon Posts: 2,936Registered Users ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know... F10 maybe 1/2 the wind speed of cat5. Was thinking maybe medbiller heard a report with Beaufort speed, and was in an area that didn't get the full brunt of the storm. Cat5= get the hell out of the way!
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter