In my quest for back up

kamchuka
kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
I don't like only having one or two of anything. I have solar, I have a generator, 4 actually. I'll get right to it.

What I'm looking for is a way to charge my batteries outside the "loop". I want to be able to plug my little (2k Ryobi) generator straight to my bank and fire 20-30 amps at em. Does anyone know of a stand alone charger that will actually do this? I've tested a few and no-go. I know automotive chargers have different values that aren't adjustable. I've searched the internet and haven't found much and nothing off the shelf will perform this task.

thanks folks
900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 

Comments

• bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    during irma here in north florida it was pretty dark the first couple of days after power went out and i used my automotive charger to do exactly that off the generator .. a decent one generally has 3 settings low-med-and high .. just be sure to use your multimeter and babysit it while you juice them for a few ..
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would something like an Iota battery charger work for you?

https://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=iota+battery+charger
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kamchuka
    kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    photowhit, I think this is perfect. thanks for the link! I wish the volt was a tad higher but that seems to be a fairly cheep answer to my issue.
    900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops.