DIY solar project at 10,000'

2»

Comments

• Wbuffetjr1
    Wbuffetjr1 Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    jonr said:
    If you have a booster and it works marginally, I'd upgrade the cell antenna.
    It has a directional yagi.  Is there something better? I have seen dual yagi antennas and wondered if they were "twice" as good. 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found putting mine higher up on a flagpole helped. Don't know about dual yagi.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    More or less, "double the antenna" (3 db increase in power) is just about "lost in the noise" (in terms of radio sensitivity/functionality). 10x the signal (10 time power increase, 10 db increase) is a substantial increase in power/sensitivity.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Wbuffetjr1
    Wbuffetjr1 Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Just a quick update.  I went out to the cabin for two weeks last month. Fixed the battery cables and went through the logs. Our high power was pretty interesting.  Had a high of 4,024 watts later in the trip but didn't get a picture of that for some reason. While running the 1HP compressor for 8 hours per day, I only had 4 days since the end of July where the system did not go into float.Batteries did not appear to have used any water at all. Next month will be switching over to the 1/3hp motor for Winter.