12V vs 24v

Options
seymoursteve
seymoursteve Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭

I have been using a 24v system with a 24v-to-240 power inverter, mainly to power my well pump. We have a lot of power outages where I live, and want to make sure that I always have water available.  My question is: am I better off using the 24v system or would it be better to switch to a 12v system using a step-up transformer (110v to 220) to run the well pump?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The pump is a 1.5 HP, 350 feet deep.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a rule, 24v is better than 12v for an application like a fair sized pump. Going to 12v would more than double the current going from the bank to the inverter. Higher current increases resistance, voltage sags requiring more current, and so on.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • seymoursteve
    seymoursteve Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response. That is what I thought, but it's nice to get confirmation!
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Estragon said:
    As a rule, 24v is better than 12v for an application like a fair sized pump. Going to 12v would more than double the current going from the bank to the inverter. Higher current increases resistance, voltage sags requiring more current, and so on.
    Just a clarification for educational purposes only, higher currents do not increase resistance, resistance is a constant, using 24V vs 12V with the same conductors would result in half the losses for given conductors, but in essence the statement holds true.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, increases wire losses is what I meant, although, and just for educational purposes, my understanding is that resistance is not constant.

As wire losses increase, the loss shows up as heating in the wire, and resistance is affected by temperature. Low temperature superconductors illustrate this notion.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just for clarification ...
    Amperage can and does increase the resistance.
    Resistance is not constant.

Example:
    Incandescent light bulb ...
    Initially cold, low resistance and high amps in-rush
    Quickly hot, high resistance and lower amperage

Same with toaster element & toaster oven infrared heater.

If the size of the battery wire is too small for the amps then the wire will heat up and the resistance will increase.
    If there is poor / bad crimp then that connection can heat up and the resistance will increase.
    If there is too much heat for the wire or at the connection then we get thermal runaway (more heat = more resistance  = more heat)
    We could eventually see smoke, or even fire.

Typically, higher voltages (12v > 24v > 48v) and lower amps = less losses
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The loss due to wire resistance is compounding as well.  Say you need 240W at 24V, which translates to a current of 10A. To get the same watts out of a 12V bank you need twice as much current, so 20A. Say the resistance in the wire is R, then the voltage loss in the 24V battery is 10 x R, but for the 12V battery it is 20 x R. Here's the compounding part:  This voltage drop represents a percentage drop from the original battery voltage. The fractional drop for the 12V battery is (20 x R) / 12, whereas for the 24V battery the loss is (10 x R) / 24.

That is to say: For a given watts pulled across the same wire, the loss for a 12V battery is four times as much as it is for a 24V battery. 
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mvas said:
    Just for clarification ...
    Amperage can and does increase the resistance.
    Resistance is not constant.

Example:
    Incandescent light bulb ...
    Initially cold, low resistance and high amps in-rush
    Quickly hot, high resistance and lower amperage

Same with toaster element & toaster oven infrared heater.

If the size of the battery wire is too small for the amps then the wire will heat up and the resistance will increase.
    If there is poor / bad crimp then that connection can heat up and the resistance will increase.
    If there is too much heat for the wire or at the connection then we get thermal runaway (more heat = more resistance  = more heat)
    We could eventually see smoke, or even fire.

Typically, higher voltages (12v > 24v > 48v) and lower amps = less losses
    Do they even still make incandescent bulbs? lol Who still buys them?

12<24<48 not the other way around.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    I think the ">" was intended to say if 12 volts, go to 24 volts. If 24 volts, go to 48 volts.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could also mean 12 volt = higher amperage, etc.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #11
    Options
    The following paragraph  is from a physics book

Materials that obey Ohm's Law are called 'linear' or 'ohmic'; those that don't are called 'non-ohmic' or 'non-linear'. Ohm's Law isn't by any means a universal law; it doesn't apply to all conductors! Ohm's Law simply states that 'the current flowing through a wire, at constant temperature, is directly proportional to the potential difference across the ends of that wire'. This doesn't apply to, for example, a tungsten filament lamp, whose ratio between voltage and current changes as the voltage increases (due to its resistance changing as its temperature increases). The so-called 'Ohm's Law equation' (R = V/I) is, in fact, derived from the definition of the ohm, and not from Ohm's Law. For this reason, the equation applies even when Ohm's Law does not. If the ratio of voltage to current remains constant over a wide range of voltages, then Ohm's Law applies for that range of voltages. If the ratio of voltage to current changes over a range of volages, then Ohm's Law does not apply. 

For the purpose of calculation one would use the resistance value as a constant in an Ohm's Law equation at a given ambient temperature, dynamically there may be changes in the conductors resistance if grossly undersized which is why an over current device is of such importance, to protect the conductors.

So I stand corrected, the resistance can change due to temperature rise, but a properly designed system would not encounter temperature rises in the conductors  that would have a significant impact on the resistance, unless a fault occurs.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Like most metals, copper wire has a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC)
    For every 10° C increase in temperature, copper's resistance increases by 4%.

That is significant enough for NEC to note ...
    wires inside of conduit may need to be de-rated to a lower Ampacity Rating vs the exact same wire in free-air.

50,000 homes will have an electrical fire this year.
    The more we understand, the less likely it occur in our home.
  • Lumisol
    Options
    Were the fires from added wiring the owners did or from sub par wiring the builders did?
    It makes a huge difference.
    Few people go through all their home wiring and replace it with higher rated components.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No mention of 'year of build'...  that would be a good first point of analysis.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Lumisol
    Options
    There were a lot of aluminum wired houses built that were fire hazards up to the middle 70's.