Conext SW 4048 full power capability with AC Grid Support confusion... help?

jimmyaz
jimmyaz Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭
Hi Guys,

So I have called everywhere for answer but could not find a solid one, including the horrible tech support of Schneider.  "Maybe I shouldn't even looking to buy their system at all just base on because of their bad customer support"

My question is, what's the maximum output power this thing can output when  it's connected to the GRID and running on AC GRID SUPPORT mode.   I am confused if the specs they provided Peak:41A max is a combination of AC Grid / Inverting power, or only AC Grid.

http://cdn.solar.schneider-electric.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Conext-SW_-Data-Sheet-NA.pdf

There's two specs in there that I do not understand.

Peak: 41A
Transfer Relay Rating:  30A

I keep hearing from everyone that this thing can bypass 30A of AC power.  I was hoping that it can output 30A from using the GRID Support mode and + the 3800watt inverting capbility to give out 3800+7200=11000watts.  So I may possibly able to run my 3tons HVAC.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can hope all you want but it is 30 amps as I mentioned before. It can not do both. You need an XW or something else for higher current. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jimmyaz
    You can hope all you want but it is 30 amps as I mentioned before. It can not do both. You need an XW or something else for higher current. Good Luck!
    You can clarify that a bit more?  "it can not do both"?  are you saying it can't use AC Grid and Inverting at the same time to support the load?  But I thought that's the design of this hybrid inverter? combing the grid power with battery inverted power to power load?

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    jimmyaz,
    I would think that as long as the breaker for your 3 ton A/C is 30 amp or less it will run on this inverter with grid support. Your A/C unit probably draws about 15 amps while running and that should be no problem, however the 80 or so amp surge is were the breaker size is important. That is why the A/C breaker needs to be 30 amps or less. Also consider any other loads you will have on while the A/C is running. A 1000 watt or more load on the system when the A/C kicks in just might trip the breaker. My Radian GS4048A handles my 2 ton unit with grid support easily.

Rick  
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dave Angelini
    The SW is not a Hybrid inverter! The XW is.  I really doubt that an SW will start a 3 ton AC unit.
     No one who lives offgrid would do this to their equipment as it is stressful and the last thing one who successfully lives offgrid does is something like you propose.

The radian has a 50A transfer Rick!

There was a guy here from Canada who tried this and had trouble with an XW. You might try searching the forum here.

• jimmyaz
    Raj174 said:
    jimmyaz,
    I would think that as long as the breaker for your 3 ton A/C is 30 amp or less it will run on this inverter with grid support. Your A/C unit probably draws about 15 amps while running and that should be no problem, however the 80 or so amp surge is were the breaker size is important. That is why the A/C breaker needs to be 30 amps or less. Also consider any other loads you will have on while the A/C is running. A 1000 watt or more load on the system when the A/C kicks in just might trip the breaker. My Radian GS4048A handles my 2 ton unit with grid support easily.

Rick  
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for the input.  I measured my AC unit yesterday with my meter, but it doesn't have inrush feature... so I was only able to see by recording the display and play it frame by frame and it can only pick up.  32.2 amps at start up and drop down to 8.9amps within 1-2 seconds.  But this AC unit had never never once trip the 30amp breaker in the main panel.

I just bought a meter that can measure inrush amperage, I will measure it again.  Also, bought a 5-2-1 Hard Start capacity kit, from researching, most people show it can reduce 30-50% inrush amp... I would just have to install it and see how much it can help.

• jimmyaz
    The SW is not a Hybrid inverter! The XW is.  I really doubt that an SW will start a 3 ton AC unit.
     No one who lives offgrid would do this to their equipment as it is stressful and the last thing one who successfully lives offgrid does is something like you propose.

The radian has a 50A transfer Rick!

There was a guy here from Canada who tried this and had trouble with an XW. You might try searching the forum here.
    So, either I'm on dope or someone is...

http://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-sw-na/

Said right on their website, promotional video.

"Conext SW Solar Hybrid Inverter System (120/240V)"

Proven value for off-grid, backup power and self-consumption

ConextTM SW 120/240V is perfect for off-grid, backup power and self-consumption applications, it’s a pure sine wave, hybrid inverter system with switchable 50/60 Hz frequencies, providing power for every need. Conext SW features 120/240 VAC output, and capable of producing 120/240 VAC output from a 120 VAC input, without the need for an external transformer. For expanded off-grid capacity, the Conext SW is integrated with fuel-based generators as required to support loads larger than the generator’s output. It’s also self consumption ready, able to prioritize solar consumption over the grid, while maintaining zero grid export. The Conext SW works with the grid to avoid peak utility charges and support the grid when utility supply is limited. Stacking two Conext SW units will double the system’s total output power and available solar charge controllers allow for the integration of solar capacity as required.

• Dave Angelini
    I always think of a Hybrid as one that can sell back energy. They are probably thinking "hybrid" of this as it's ability to self consume. 
    The inverter can't sell to the grid.

• jimmyaz
    edited January 2017 #9
    I always think of a Hybrid as one that can sell back energy. They are probably thinking "hybrid" of this as it's ability to self consume. 
    The inverter can't sell to the grid.
    Selling back to the grid isn't what I want or need.  There's no way I am going to produce power so my neighbor will use and pay to the power company but then I only get 1/4 of it and turn around having to pay the power compay a "demand" charge of 30-60 dollars a month + service fees.  Why?

I want to be able to self consume every single watts that my solar can produce.... without using more than 10-20% of my battery daily and not selling to the grid.  So a inverter with AC grid support is the only answer.   The point is, I don't ever want my solar to sit in Floating and be able to use up all of my solar capability.

Well, I guess since I already make a bunch of mistake one more isn't going to hurt... haha.  Worse of all if the AC won't start then I won't run it but run only the other stuff in the house, lighting, washer, ect.