MPPT Controller Choices

mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
After much searching, reading reviews etc. and searching  for distributors in Thailand, my choices are pretty slim for anything with a known brand. Basically the two that are available, in the size I need, are Schneider's  Conext 60-150 and Morningstar TS 60 MPPT, the Schneider is the cheaper of the two by $50 US at $471 and seems to be a more technically advanced unit with a LCD included, otherwise they are pretty much the same and both have no fan, which is nice. One other advantage is Schneider has a manufacturing plant in Thailand and getting warranty replacement or service, if required would be less complicated than going though a distributor who has to deal outside the country for support .

Would like to hear from actual users regarding any issues experienced and overall satisfaction, or dissatisfaction with either of these products.
1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #2
    The Morningstar is a little more efficient than the Schneider (not very much) and certainly not noticeably offgrid.
    I did beta testing on this charger for Xantrex who sold to Schneider. One of the things I really like about it, and did this work for them by adding the scroll screen. When enabled there are no buttons to push and all the vitals are scrolling continuously.

This great for non technical folks who may need the help.

I would guess my clients and I have installed over 75 of these with zero problems since 2007. One got flooded but was repairable. With 2 of the S mppts, a network is established with nothing else. I would guess that Morningstar will also network. They also would match very well with the S SW inverter charger which is probably the most inexpensive on the planet from a major corporation.  Yes I own the stock! :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Then there is also Victron MPPT controllers. Having used Morningstar and Victron, I recon both makes gives you a lot of options and if you buy right, scalability.

Once huge benefit with both makes are in that you can program both makes to your specific needs, type of batteries.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• mcgivor
    Then there is also Victron MPPT controllers. Having used Morningstar and Victron, I recon both makes
    gives you a lot of options and if you buy right, scalability.

Once huge benefit with both makes are in that you can program both makes to your specific needs, type of batteries.

Thanks for the info boet, haven't looked for Victron, Schneider is almost the same as Morningstar but less expensive and comes with LCD display and more setup parameters, without the use of software. How's SA by the way, was last there in 1981, Durban, almost moved there but thought I would be jumping from the fire into the frying pan ( Zimbabwe was the fire ) went to UK, then US, then Canada and now here.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • South Africa
    If you look at Victron, look at the VE.Direct to USB cable also. Then you can connect the controller to their software to adjust and display. the values. Can also upload data to their free website to see values remotely. Also has Bluetooth options to see locally on your phone.

LCD is nice but limiting as it is on the device. To solve that I had software written to see all my devices remotely.

How is SA? Getting worse I would say.
    Droughts is / has been bad. Now some areas have flooding whilst others are getting dryer with no rain at all. 
    Politically it is a dog's breakfast with one fiasco on the next.

But that is all over the world I suppose.

To properly convey the overall picture one would need a braai with steak and wors and a few beers to keep cool in order to properly analyse it all with gusto. :smiley:

• mcgivor
    Checked out Victron, no dealer locally, there is another offering which looks to be similar to Morningstar, but for the sake of $100 US vs Schneider, not sure I would go that way, see link
    http://www.srne.com.cn/en/pro/mt4860.html
  • South Africa
    No idea. FWIW, try and get a brand name.