Suitable controller

Options
Bunghole
Bunghole Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi I have three 130 watt PV panels connected to three 120 amp/hrs deep cell batteries using a basic 36amp controller (the 3rd one in about 2 years of use) the previous two ran the batteries down and this one seems to be doing the same. I am connected via a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter and mainly run a small circulation pump and a number of 240v LED lights in my seldom used off grid cabin. Can anyone advise me on which controller I should use for this system. Cheers.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum... Can you tell us a bit about your system?

Roughly, where is it located (UK/Ireland?)
    Do you run the inverter when you are not there?

A 2,000 Watt AC inverter is pretty big for a 360 AH @ 12 volt (?) battery bank. Closer to a 1,000 - 1,500 Watt AC inverter would be about the maximum for that size battery bank. And if you can get to a much smaller AC inverter (like 300 Watts).

And, depending on where you are at--Say Dublin--You may not get much sun:

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Dublin
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 37° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

So--This time of year--Dublin gets about 1 hour of sun per day (January) average. An off grid power system with 390 Watts of solar would generate:
    • 390 Watts solar * 0.52 off grid system eff * 1.06 hours of sun (Jan) = 215 Watt*Hours per average January day
    That is running a 2,000 Watt inverter (at full power) for 6 minutes per day... And a 2kWatt AC inverter may run 10-20+ Watts just turned on... If you left it running 24 hours per day, that could use up all of the solar power (and then some) without running any other loads:
    • 20 Watts Tare load (Inverter) * 24 hours per day = 480 Watt*Hour per day
    If you do not have any loads (everything turned off)--Then a week of weak January sun may give you some "useful" power for a weekend.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset