Sams battery's compared to Trojan

Options
bc buck
bc buck Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭
How do Sams battery's compare to Trojan life span? Calling around getting prices and Sams are about 1/2 price. I know im not comparing apples to apples but need min 130 AH.

Trojan t145 6v $200 260Ah x2 batterys=$400
Trojan j305e-ac 6v 305AH x2 batterys=$460
Duracell GC2 6v 215AH x4 batterys=$360

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    Options
    When comparing deep cycle batteries, it makes sense to compare the number of expected deep cycles. Things to keep in mind:

1) When a manufacturer believes in the longevity of their product, they will display the cycle life openly and make it easy for you to find.

2) When any given battery is demonstrably cheaper than other similar Chinese imported batteries that are made with the same low cost labor - you should consider why that is.

3) Compare the weight of deep cycle lead-acid batteries. Heavy lead components are a key part of lots of deep cycles. Thick lead plates weigh more than thin plates. When comparing batteries with the same AH rating - do the batteries of roughly the same capacity and size have roughly the same weight?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had good luck torturing Sam's club batteries, though we get Energizer here (I think). Remember a couple things about the batteries, core charges are around $15 so 8 vs 4 will make a difference. Also Sam's club will take pretty much any battery as a core, I've used a lawn tractor battery. I think this is policy through out Sam's club as I've done this at my 3rd Sam's club now, usually with car batteries.

I personally would expect 4-5 years out of Sam's Club batteries and I would hope for 7 years from Trojans, I've never thought it was worth the difference. I think when I looked on line the Duracells at Sam's Club had a lower feedback rating. I think these are all made at Johnson Controls, though someone here I think said the Duracells were made by Deka (this is hear/say I would check this out) Johnson control makes a lot of batteries in Mexico now, though I think the last 2 I got were from USA.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bc buck
    bc buck Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Options

3) Compare the weight of deep cycle lead-acid batteries. Heavy lead components are a key part of lots of deep cycles. Thick lead plates weigh more than thin plates. When comparing batteries with the same AH rating - do the batteries of roughly the same capacity and size have roughly the same weight?
    Sams does not have the weight of there golf cart battery's on there web sight.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My sams club are 6.5 years old . I have Done monthly maintenance since new. 

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    batteryplus web page says they weigh 60.5 lbs
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup