Genset returned with 105 volt readout...

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Bought an Onan HomeSite Power 3500 genset about three years ago. It is rated for a 2500 watt output (deceptive name?). Onan had a great name for a long time. My "housesitter" was going to take it to a pawn shop so I "rescued" it. Was told that the usage time was low.

It worked great 99% of the time. Slipped to a 60 volt readout a couple times. Brought it in for repair. He mistakenly tried a voltage regulator off of a working 3500 watt genset (after all this Onan 3500 genset does carry 3500 in the name). The output was about 90 volts........as memory serves. A year went by with neither one us able to find a suitable voltage regulator. After all, Onan has long since gone kaput....I am told.

Repair guy reports that he finally found a suitable voltage regulator. Great news.....I hurried in and cranked it up. Voltage readout is 105 volts and the idle speed seems a tad bit higher than it used to be.

Repair guy says not to use it on motors but it is ok for electronics with capacitors. Like I know what has a capacitor and what does not. Says to "turn up the idle if you are worried about it." Well....of course I am worried about it.

He has bad health problems and may not live much longer by the way.

High voltage is better than low voltage. I am playing with the idea of trying an approx. 2000 watt voltage regulator. This saga has stretched out for two years. My memories may not be exact.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you know. Ebay now shows a voltage regulator for this exact genset for $20. I bought it of course. We both had searched *periodically* for a very long time.

Being offgrid certainly involves a number of skill sets...
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries