Is this normal for a BMK

pyintheye
pyintheye Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hi to all
The charging amp values from the BMK read out on the Remote are not in sync with the Magnum, Inverter amps screen. There seems to be a greater discrepancy as the battery voltage increases. At absorb voltage there is a 3.5-4 amp difference, and up to a 7 amp spread when I am equalizing. Can anyone tell me what screen I can really believe or If I may have an issue to correct.
Thanks
Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Is the Magnum Inverter the only charging source/load when you are testing the BMK Battery Monitor?

If you do not have one yet, a DC Current Clamp Meter is very handy for answering these questions... Sears sells an AC/DC Current Clamp DMM that is "good enough" for our needs. (note: normally $60--But currently on sale for $45 at the time of this post Nov 16, 2016).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • pyintheye
    BB. said:
    Is the Magnum Inverter the only charging source/load when you are testing the BMK Battery Monitor?

If you do not have one yet, a DC Current Clamp Meter is very handy for answering these questions... Sears sells an AC/DC Current Clamp DMM that is "good enough" for our needs. (note: normally $60--But currently on sale for $45 at the time of this post Nov 16, 2016).

-Bill
      That's really why I was asking. This is night time with Generator running/8000W. A 2000W water heater AC and my usual house draw of 5-8 amps@48V, also AC. The charger is set to 90%, to get 54amps, for a 435AH/48V battery bank. It settles in to 53+ amps on the BMK readout but shows 57-58+ on the Inverter readout. Battery temp @ 75C.
    I didn't think to check it with the Clamp Meter. I was just wondering if it was normal for the 2 readouts to be out of sync or if this is just a Magnum software programing glitch. Any other suggestions/ observations from other posts?
    Thanks
    Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    You'd better trust your BMK meter display only. If correctly mounted, in/out current to your batteries is pretty accurate.
    A+
    Erik
  • pyintheye
    Just did the clamp meter test and the BMK readout is the winner.
    Thanks All.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Yes,  inverters are designed to turn DC into AC power. Logging and measurements do not need to be very accurate. A precision resistor costs a fair amount 6 of money and space which is not used by many inverter customers.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset