Xantrex C35 (c-series) battery temperature sensor?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
If you keep your batteries outside, it is likely important to use a battery temperature sensor. Getting ready to hook up the Xantex C-35 charge controller in the near future. A search of the forum found so many links that my brain was bubbling before too long. Xantrex makes a lot of different charge controllers.

Finding the correct battery temperature sensor is an entirely different matter however. The sensor for the c-series charge controllers are quite rare. Our host is "out of stock"....arghh. Can I use any Xantrex battery temp sensor using a phone jack to plug into the controller?

Good ways to protect this fragile wiring from rodents and goats? How to best attach to a steel housed forklift battery?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Contact our hose NAWS:

http://solar-electric.com/

They did seem to get confirmation that the Cxx sensor was still available from Schneider (at least one length).

Boxing in electrical (using steel conduit, etc.) is about the only way I know of (just yesterday was sealing up our outbuilding against rats--again).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    https://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=xantrex+battery+temp+sensor+schenider  They show "out of stock". My cell phone service is so bad that I only use it for dire situations. Have to put the phone on a magic bucket and yell into the speaker phone.

I have read that sugar + flour + baking soda = dead rats and mice. I tried it and it seems to have worked. Maybe a pH reaction in their intestines?

Batteries in garages should also use battery temp sensors. Anywhere the temp can often be below 60F or above 80F...it seems. According to my Xantrex pamphlet...

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    I called the host and spoke to Dan. He is getting conflicting data on the availability. Sent an email and crossed my fingers...

There are plenty of Xantrex battery temp sensors using the phone jack. Could easily be wired "different" of course. I think only two of the four wires are actually used. Cheap to buy so they use them....darn fragile wires though. Off gridders always have plenty of mice etc.
  • softdown
    edited November 2016 #5
    Options
    While Xantrex C-series charge controllers would seem to be a good value, the difficulty in obtaining battery temperature sensors does change the math. Finally found one for $34...a pretty expensive BTS. Our host says: Unfortunately, there is no way to order the battery temperature sensors for those units.  We were told that there was one model, the 25’ version, but it is not available for order from Schneider.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Not comforting to find that Schneider has no plans to supply BTS for the myriad C-Series charge controllers out there.