Anybody know of a 2 or 2.5 volt battery charger?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
The closest I was able to find is 3 volts...akin to charging a 12 volt battery at 18 volts.

A 2 or 2.5 volt charger would make it a lot easier when attempting to rejuvenate an ill forklift battery cell.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    The closest I was able to find is 3 volts...akin to charging a 12 volt battery at 18 volts.

A 2 or 2.5 volt charger would make it a lot easier when attempting to rejuvenate an ill forklift battery cell.
    Would/could you settle for a 2.5 volt power supply? I know it is not the same as a charger, but it may have to do .
  • softdown
    Options
    The $40 unit is of some interest. I pretty much really like to have my stuff pre-wired. Sure I can probably do it myself but would prefer not for a few reasons.

I think a real battery charger would lower the odds of overcharging.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mrfixit
    mrfixit Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    There is a charger called "cell saver" or  "battery saver" for 2v cells. It used to be available on ebay but not sure if it still is.
    I recall it was quite expensive. I think this was the company that made them.

http://forkliftbatterytechnologies.com/index1.html

• softdown
    Options
    mrfixit said:
    There is a charger called "cell saver" or  "battery saver" for 2v cells. It used to be available on ebay but not sure if it still is.
    I recall it was quite expensive. I think this was the company that made them.

http://forkliftbatterytechnologies.com/index1.html

Thanks for the effort. They do appear to be kaput from appearances. Had some good ideas though.
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to race RC cars in the 1980's and have a Competition Electronics Turbocharger.  It took around 12 VDC in (Used to use a standard-for-the-day car 10 amp charger) and you can set voltage and amperage down to at least .1 amps and volts.  It had some settings to .01.  It would do 10 amps and had a bank of resisters on the back to shed excess power.  Here is a link to what appears to be a newer version than what I had, but it is pretty cheap.  I don't know what this particular model will do, but my old one would work for what you are doing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Turbo-Thirty-Turbo-Flex-Competition-Electronics-Charger-Discharged-Cycle-/371754597436?hash=item568e4cfc3c:g:-W0AAOSwknJXyIxs

I had thought of using this on low voltage cells in a string of 2 volt cells, but it has not been necessary.  I may use it to charge single cells as they fail in my blank, but so far so good.  That's why I bought 56 cells (2 volts 1040 AH) AGM I have 2 strings of 48 volts and 1 string of 12 volts which serve as a backup for the larger strings.  Over 3 years on these used cells and they rock. 

Message me and we could chat.

12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • softdown
    Options
    Thanks...that really ought to charge 2 volt cells. Of course....now I will likely be competing with others on the board.