Another new guy with questions

Ponea
Ponea Registered Users Posts: 2
I have 5-100 watt panels, a 30 amp pcm controller, 3 deep cycle 12 v batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. I had planned on running the whole system at 12 volts. The distance between the panels and the controller is a about 50 feet. I had planned to use 10 gauge wire

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    well if you switched to a mppt controller it be no big deal about the 50 feet, as you can run much higher voltage and the mppt controller charge you 12 volt batterys
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #3
    Hi Ponea,

Running 5 pairs of #10 AWG will work. That will give you a 3% voltage drop which is normally acceptable.
    However since you are paralleling more than 2 panels you need a circuit breaker on each positive line.
    A combiner box would make that easy to do.

This is the combiner... 
    https://www.solar-electric.com/mnpv6.html

This is a Midnite PV breaker that would work well for your needs...
    https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-mnepv-12-amps-circuit-breaker.html

If you could, let us know the battery specs just to be sure the system is balanced, i. e. Is panel wattage sufficient to charge a given size battery bank capacity in amp hours.  

Good luck with your system

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Ponea
    Ponea Registered Users Posts: 2
    3-12 volt 51 Ah batteries gel type deep discharge
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #5
    You have enough solar panel to charge the battery.   Many types (but not all) of gel batteries are not well suited to solar applications because they can't handle large charging currents.  What model and brand are yours?

btw, 2000 watts is a HUGE inverter for only 152 ah of battery at 12 volts.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i