NEED SOME HELP! System not charging....

offgridder
offgridder Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
Howdy all,

It has been quite some time since I was last here, this is good as it is a result of our system working with no problems, until about 2 weeks ago.

About 6 months ago our Xantrex C40 controller stopped displaying any power from the array, showing zero's all across except for the battery level display, which displayed 12.7 (we have the C40 with display that shows voltage and amps from array and battery levels). I simply hit the black reset button on the side of the C40 and it solved the problem.

2 weeks ago this happened again, but repeated resets did nothing. I disconnected the PV & battery connections, reinstalled the wires - battery bank first then array, no change, all zeros except the battery levels. When I disconnected the wires I checked the voltage and the panels were putting out a little over 20 volts in full sun & the batteries showed 12.75 volts with input volts & no load. We also have another meter in the kitchen that shows current voltage so the problem is not the display on the C40.

I called Xantrex and they took me thru a few tests which included the reset button and disconnecting & reconnecting the PV and battery leads and it made no difference. The tech quickly came to the conclusion that the controller was not working & stated they do not sell replacement parts (really?)... The tech never answered my question as to whether or not the C40 has a fuse inside or not. Anyone know?

That being said, we figured that since this controller lasted about 6-1/2 years we would just replace it with another C40, figuring that would solve the problem, and the tech had recommended doing just that. We received the new C40, installed it correctly and well, no change... UGH.

Yesterday I decided to check the batteries, it has been a couple of years since I unhooked everything and tested them. All 7 are at 12.7 with no load.

So what can we do to get our power back and have it show on the controller? What are we doing wrong?

We are currently suffering thru 95-100+ degree days, we get relief using a couple of evaporative coolers, but only when the generator is running as the static batteries cannot power them for an extended period of time.

WE NEED HELP!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we are not experts by any means, but we have enough experience to get by... This has us STUMPED!

PLEASE CLICK LINK BELOW below to see a diagram of our simple system.

Thanks for any help - Jonathan

Here is a breakdown of our simple system:

720 watt PV array
Xantrex C40 Charge Controller with Digital Display
Xantrex SW 2012 Inverter/Charger
(7) Werker AGM 100ah Batteries

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145/ezbme2003/SOLAR DIAGRAM/SOLAR DIAGRAM_zpszq0loqh2.jpg

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #2
    When I disconnected the wires I checked the voltage and the panels were putting out a little over 20 volts in full sun & the batteries showed 12.75 volts with input volts & no load.

What is the  solar voltage with everything connected in full sun?  Also try shorting the solar with an ammeter and read the current!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• offgridder
    edited June 2016 #3
    When I disconnected the wires I checked the voltage and the panels were putting out a little over 20 volts in full sun & the batteries showed 12.75 volts with input volts & no load.

What is the  solar voltage with everything connected in full sun?  Also try shorting the solar with an ammeter and read the current!

With everything connected it reads 12.75 volts.

Dave please refresh my memory and give me some detail on how exactly I short the solar with an ammeter - Thanks
  • offgridder
    And THANKS to whoever deleted the multiple posts...  :)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Are the batteries also 6.5 years old?

Most digital multimeters have a current mode that measures amps, typically up to 10 amps.  To measure Isc, you simply connect a solar panel to the current jacks on the multimeter, and the meter will read in amps. The meter becomes a short circuit on the panel.   Be sure to do only one panel at a time... if you try to measure the combined current of the entire array (more than 10 amps), you will damage the meter and hear a popping noise and smell smoke.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • offgridder
    Thanks vtMaps, I will check this out tomorrow in full sun...
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (7) AGM 100ah Batteries in parallel is a red flag for future problems.  But not this one.   

As Dave said, get a power reading from the array in good sun.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Regarding deleted posts...

We are a "full service" forum. :)

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mina
    Mina Registered Users Posts: 1
    I will inform from my experience here is the probailites: 
    I believe there is no problem in your solar panels as it can produce the maximum voltage, but if you want to check the solar panel, Open the junction box and check the By-Pass diodes by the resistance. 
    Regarding the Battery Bank, Please bring a small load with rated voltage 12VDC like a lamp from any super market and if it lighted up. So there is no problem in the battery bank and the oppositte is correct. 
    Regarding the charge controller, Please bring a small blocking diode and install between the battery bank and the solar panel at the positive line and connect them through a circuit breaker and check the voltage difference. If you found that the voltage is increasing,,,, So the problem here in the  charge controller 
    Check this link that will show you how to connect the diode between the solar and the battery bank 

https://www.google.com.eg/search?safe=active&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=623&q=connecting+solar+panels+in+series+with+a+battery+through+a+blocking+diode&oq=connecting+solar+panels+in+series+with+a+battery+through+a+blocking+diode&gs_l=img.3...1025.17239.0.17878.75.63.0.0.0.0.356.9379.0j26j17j3.46.0....0...1.1.64.img..29.21.4373...0j0i30j0i8i30j0i24.QT4bYtaJ4UY#imgrc=NTu2YT-CscgMEM:

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Check for corroded wires and terminals. Check your disconnect, check the voltage and amps before the dis connect and then after the  disconnect and put some load on the solar panel side right after the disconnect when checking.