house bank with staeting battery hook-up

Options
gncassie
gncassie Registered Users Posts: 3
how do I hook up my starting battery (1) with my house bank (2) all to the battery switch?  All batteries are AGM.  Starting is 85 ah.  House is 100ah.  Thanks, Jerry

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you trying to use one battery or the other, or are you trying to use both at once?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • gncassie
    gncassie Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    not sure how to use this site.  is this where I respond to your question.  The starting battery is for starting the engine.  the house bank is for use in running electronics and lights on the boat.  I hope I under stood your question.  Thanks, Jerry
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand your question.  What do you want the battery switch to accomplish?  If I know what type of switch you have and what you want it to do, maybe I can tell you how to connect it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    In general, you run separate batteries so that if you run down the house battery bank, you can still start the vehicle.

There are A/B/Both battery switches (originally for boats) that do allow you to combine batteries (backup to start the motor if the vehicle battery dies, two strings of batteries so you have 1 backup if a string fails, etc.).

Blue Sea Battery Switch 1-2-OFF 350 Amp

But if you want the engine alternator to charge both batteries, you typically get a "battery isolator" so that it charges the house battery when you drive (turns one when the ignition is on, or other options).

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=battery+isolator

There are also electronic battery controllers that "charge" when the first battery is being charged, to the second battery:

Magnum ME-SBC Smart Battery Combiner 1224 Volts

For solar, there is a simple controller that connects a set of solar panels to charge two different battery systems:

SunSaver Dual Battery 25 Amp 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller With Digital Meter

And there are even more options that above... As vtMaps asks, what is it that you are trying to do? What is the size of the battery bank (volts and Amp*Hours)? What your your daily/peak loads?...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset