HELP SETTING UP ANOTHER SOLAR SYSTEM

Options
justinlee
justinlee Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭
Thanks for all the help on my main system we have been talking about for almost three weeks...I have learned a whole lot of good and important information from you guys and I appreciate it.  So besides the cabin I have out in Oklahoma I also have my travel trailer out there on a different part of my property. I had this previous equipment on my old system and I want to see if it will do the stand alone job for the travel trailer that may only be occupied now 2 to 3 days at a time every two weeks or so....these are my sharp 230 watt 24 volt panels I mentioned in my previous thread..they are  
Maximum Power (Pmax)*: 230 Watt

Tolerance of Pmax: +10%/-5%
Type of Cell: Polycrystalline silicon
Cell Configuration: 60 in series
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 37.1 Volts
Maximum Power Voltage (Vpm): 30.0 Volts
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.48 Amps
Maximum Power Current (Ipm): 7.67 Amps
Module Efficiency (%): 14.10%
Maximum System (DC) Voltage: 600 Volts
Series Fuse Rating: 15 Amps

CC is 

XANTREX C35 CHARGE CONTROLLER 35A, 12 OR 24V (PWM)

STRING OF 4  6V WIRED TO MAKE 24@450AH

I remember us talking about the vmp on these panels may not be enough to get a proper charge .....Is there a way this equipment I have listed here could work for me in this configuration with my travel trailer?

thanks Justin

Comments

• justinlee
    justinlee Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Options
    sorry forgot ...2 of these sharp panels
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Vmp~30 volt panels will not work well with a 12 volt battery bank and PWM controller. 2x panels in parallel will only have ~1/2 of the Wattage into the battery bank. It will work (but 1/2 panel efficiency).

And 2x in parallel will not fully/quickly recharge a 24 volt battery bank (on PWM or MPPT).

There is a small "boost" type MPPT charge controller from Genasun, but it is too small to be useful with these panels/battery bank.

So, that leaves you with two "viable" options. Both require a more expensive MPPT type charge controller.

First is run a 12 volt battery bank and run the two panels in parallel behind a MPPT controller.

Or run the two panels in series with a MPPT charge controller. Most efficiently would be to charge a 24 volt battery bank. But it will work with charging a 12 volt batter bank too (an MPPT charage controller will run a bit "hotter" or less efficient).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset