Controlling Mini Split via inverter AUX function

Desert Rat
Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
I'm planning to install a mini split air conditioner in my off grid home,, and have been thinking about a way to incorporate an automatic shutoff in the event that I'm not home and it gets cloudy. We often have sudden thunderstorms in the summer, and an otherwise sunny day can get cloudy unexpectedly.  I want to prevent discharging the batteries when this happens.
I'm thinking I could wire the AUX relay in my inverter to a DC/AC relay, and have that relay cut power to the mini split circuit. Any problem doing this? Would this type of relay be suitable?
 http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-SSR-75DA-H-Single-Phase-90-480V/dp/B00VG705G0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1459386503&sr=8-15&keywords=DC+AC+relay

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    That will work but in general I prefer mechanical relays for applications like this.  SSR's get pretty warm during higher current operation.
  • stillchillin
    stillchillin Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    Look at the specs for RIB relays, I think one of these will work fine. They are inexpensive and come in many configurations
    18- 235 W Kyocera panel, 12- 4-KS-25PS Rolls 1350 Ah, Magnum MS4448PAE, ME RC50, ME AGS, Outback FM 80, Generac 8KW LP generator, 6.5 Honda Portable generator
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Look at the specs for RIB relays, I think one of these will work fine. They are inexpensive and come in many configurations
    It looks like most of the RIB relays show a coil voltage of 24Vdc. Would it work with the 12V output from my AUX relay?
  • stillchillin

If the AUX  contact that you are going to use is a dry contact you can use the line voltage from the mini split as the coil voltage and just switch that to control the relay. So your coil voltage would be 120V or 230V depending on the size of your mini split.

18- 235 W Kyocera panel, 12- 4-KS-25PS Rolls 1350 Ah, Magnum MS4448PAE, ME RC50, ME AGS, Outback FM 80, Generac 8KW LP generator, 6.5 Honda Portable generator
  • stillchillin
    Just pulled a relay of the shelf its a RIBU1C coil voltage is 10-30 VDC or 120 VAC contacts are SPDT and are rated for 10A you can get the contacts rated up to 30A. Hope this helps
  • highvoltpower
    highvoltpower Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭

Yes have to use rib relays, it gives best work and low-cost in your budget. RIB with additional value of very low power on the input, it suggest u can control 10-20amp relay from other device.