New bank hates me!

Options
morpho
morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
Hi...sorry...BB...VTmaps.......DAVE!???  anyone?
So I launched this bank 2 days ago.
I set all the charging parameters according to the Deka recommendations. Both on the CC and the charger for the Generator.
Bulk max = 30% of C20
Absorb = 58.8
Float = 56 
Equalize = 61.2

First day I got it all "charged up"...more or less...well... until it was into float and ran an EQ to get the cells SG's closer together. Batteries started pushing my comfort level for temps (80F) so I stopped the EQ after 3 hours. SG was getting things closer across all the cells at this stage. (When I first hooked it all up they were all over the place) Yesterday the sun got it through to float. Checked the SG across all the cells. Some where high some were low. 1.300 on the high side and 1.250 on the low end. 1.265 was about the norm.
As per the instructions I did an EQ to get the cells closer together. Ended up 1.300 on the high end and 1.265 on the low. Ok...

Cloudy day today. I start up the genset...it bulk charges...absorb charges...kicks into float...at 98% SOC
The CC is reading bulk charging...and remember I have the charging settings identical between the CC and the remote at this stage.

Checking the SG gives me readings in the 1.275 on the high end and 1.250 on the low.
So do I keep trying to EQ things...check something? Change something?

How do I send beer across the internet?

11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face

Comments

• morpho
    Options
    And can I even do an EQ if only one of the two says it is in float?...well I know I can do it...but is it wise?
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It may take 25-50 cycles before your batteries achieve their full capacity and SG.  --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Your Batteries are new, in 20-50 full cycles the plates will be fully formed and the SG's will level out and become consistent. You can keep on doing EQ's and they will be off again after the first cycle.
  • morpho
    Options
    ...hahaha...well...they should probably put that in big ol' bold letters somewhere!
    hahaha...they probably do...but my ADD and dyslexia often win this battle.

Ugh.

Thanks everyone!

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have done nothing wrong, it's perfectly normal to do an equalizing charge when commissioning a battery bank, some battery companies recommend it!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • morpho
    Options
    Photowhit...thanks...and thanks to everyone else.
    All valid points!

Actually....A big shout-out to everyone on the forum in the last few weeks who have donated thoughts on any of my dumb questions.

I have learned a lot.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    morpho said:

Cloudy day today. I start up the genset...it bulk charges...absorb charges...kicks into float...at 98% SOC
    The CC is reading bulk charging...and remember I have the charging settings identical between the CC and the remote at this stage.

CC and genset charger may see slightly different voltages so even with the same settings they might change state at different times; nothing to worry about.  In this case it may be that after the genny finished and went to float, the charge controller saw the voltage lower than absorb and started a bulk cycle.  With the batts pretty much full though, I'd expect the cc bulk to be short if there's decent current from the panels.  Assuming the cc is set up to end absorb at the earlier of a timer or %C (typically 2%), it would likely go to float fairly quickly as well.  If it was really cloudy the cc might sit in bulk/absorb for longer, but with little current it wouldn't do much anyway.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter