12 volt power inverter for powering welder

Options
oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Not asking how or which one. I already figured it out. I have seen this asked before.

The welder is my power factor corrected Lincoln SP-135T, .025'' L-56 wire, CO2. It draws 1700 watts going full tilt with that wire and gas. Flux core self shielded wire in a welder like mine uses a lot more power than my thin wire and CO2 setup. You are vaporizing about half the wires mass to produce your own shielding gas, that takes a lot of power.

The inverter is a Samlex SSW 2000, a 2000 watt true sine power inverter, rated for 2,000w continuous and up to 4000 watt surge. These types of inverters do produce a pure sine wave, I tested it on my flue 123a scope meter. Compared to utility power the inverter "pure sine wave" is a little bumpy, but it is an AC sine wave, not that stepped garbage you get on the cheap inverters.

And it works.

The only problems I had is it didn't like the inrush current on my skill saw, which is more likely a battery problem than an inverter problem. I had to bump start the skill saw.

The manual doesn't say anything about using the samlex 2000w inverter on a welder or with LiFePO4 batteries. But it seems to work.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see a question in there, but your skill saw should start with no load, so you might look at replacing brushes and/or bearings on it....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    And possibly use a 50' (or whatever) extension cord vs plugging directly into the inverter--The extra resistance from the extension cord can keep surge current down.

Also, as always, double check the DC input voltage on the inverter terminals. A battery bank incapable of supplying surge current, no heavy enough DC cable, etc. can also limit the inverter's surge current capabilities.

Neat to read that you can run a MIG welder on the off grid power system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My old trick for powering the skill saw for with a 900 to 1000 watt inverter was to put the skill saw on a varrac turn down to around 90 volts and bump start it. But cutting had to be slow and easy. I have no doubt that the inverter shut down was due to the battery and not the inverter.

The battery is my 40 amp hour LiFePO4. I have the parts and cells to expand my 40 ah battery to 60 ah but have not yet. Then I will also add in my 27 ah LiFePO4 too. The inverter will reside atop my to be 60 ah battery where it will be hard wired in, then I will also be able to plug in my 27 ah battery with a Anderson SB175 connector. Then I may add in my 2.4 farad to help with inrush current.

I have analyzed the input current of inverters, no surprise, its heavily pulsed.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.