Opportunistic load ?

What's the general consensus of running a crockpot during daytime hours, say 9am-3pm on a timer. We're generally in float mode by 11am-12, so this could be a win-win if it's plausible.
8-420AH US Battery L-16s, Midnite Classic 150cc, Whiz Bang Jr, Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger,  4590w Canadian Solar panels. Honda EU2000i generator.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to run a breadmaker on sunny afternoons, so the crockpot should not be a problem. Drain is actually not that bad for one of those once they reach temperature.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    It's all fine provided you can "trust" the weather in your area. I was long toying with the idea of using surplus energy to heat water but realized that unless the system could automatically switch on and off according to battery voltage I'd be taking a big chance if it were to suddenly turn cloudy whilst I was away...
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Why not just hook a water heater element to the input power?

That way if it clouds over worse case the batteries just don't get charged.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Arkansasoffgrid
    Arkansasoffgrid Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭
    I have a tankless propane water heater. Figured to use "excess"  power to cook a meal while we're at work
    8-420AH US Battery L-16s, Midnite Classic 150cc, Whiz Bang Jr, Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger,  4590w Canadian Solar panels. Honda EU2000i generator.