Hooking up my 24 volt panels to 24 volt system

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Seems like I easily forget electrical formulas. Want to make sure that I don't blow anything up. Hooking up the panels for 48 volt service was easy. Connected adjacent panels positive to negative. Voila.....48 volt panel created from two 24 volt panels.

I do not know if I can connect two 24 volt panels and have a 24 volt supply to the charge controller. For now....I will just hook up one panel...to be safe.

FWIW....I am using a spare panel, or two, to charge my used forklift battery. Charging that thing with the existing array and a battery charger works....but is quite a drain when the weather is not co-operative. Have a freezer and a big fridge that pulls plenty of power already.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I found some data. I can hook these up in parallel by combining the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative. Seems like a great place to use those t's that I returned. I always use mc4 connections.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries