Extended warranty available for Inverter?

wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
We have a 40' Newmar 5th wheel that I am getting ready to put solar on and will be adding a 3000 watt inverter. Probably Samlex EVO or Magnum. But, these are quite an investment. $1500 and up, plus all the install pieces. Do any of you have any experience with buying an extended warranty that is really worth having? Either enhances the MFG warranty, or covers when it stops.

Some have so many exclusions, that they really don't cover anything when it's all said and done. :(

Will have about 520 watts solar, 450ah battery bank, Morningstar Tri-Star MPPT 45, etc...

Thanks in advance
Greg

Comments

  • vtmapsvtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Some credit cards offer to extend the manufacturer's warranty, or even to cover accidents, theft, etc. 

    I think some retailers (including marine retailers) sell Magnum and offer extended warranties for a price.

    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I'll check with some of the online dealers and see if they do. I thought about SquareTrade, but I have not followed that up at all. You get used to having an inverter and you don't want it to fail. Especially out of warranty! :)
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #4
    wb7duo said:
    I'll check with some of the online dealers and see if they do. I thought about SquareTrade, but I have not followed that up at all. You get used to having an inverter and you don't want it to fail. Especially out of warranty! :)


    A good reason for having a separate small inverter for critical loads, which may also be useful if the tare on your larger inverter is uncomfortably high.
    Or, of course, using two stacked inverters instead of one large one.
    The well pump (which you do not have in an RV!) or other really major loads that are critical will just have to run off the generator only. :smile: 
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • petertearaipetertearai Solar Expert Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
    Outback inverter i think comes with 5 years standard.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I have been considering a small PSW for electronic and computers, but by the time I buy the small one, and a Large MSW, I may as well get the bigger one. But the tare as you mentioned is high. The new Samlex EVO series seems to have a feature to shut down if nothing is using it.

    petertearai; Didn't know they came with 5 years. I'll look closer at them.

  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #7

    Many inverters have a 'standby' mode, during which they use very little energy, ...but it take leaving just one thing plugged in...

    I think other inverters have a 5 year warranty as well. Of course a warranty doesn't mean something will not fail, and I doubt you will want to wait on a warranty replacement, though I have heard of quick replacements...

    ...something nice about having a backup or a spare. Many people who have started small and grown into a larger system have a spare that they have outgrown, also knowing the value of a spare I have picked up a couple 'deals' on inverters when I've seen them... So the 10 year old inverter running my household is likely the least dependable of the 4 inverters I currently own. It had a fan fail in it and I replaced it a couple years back. I have an identical one from my cabin and a Military version that I picked up very cheaply. and a smaller Exeltech, that I had always wondered about and purchased when I could for a 3rd of new...

    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • animattanimatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    I just pieced together a magnum system. Most components were acquired at a deep discount.
    Particularly in my case the advanced remote control had old firmware.  I recently bought the new magnum mppt charger. The display on the arc was not displaying mppt info mppt was still working just in standalone mode.

    Contacted magnum by email on a Friday. Was hoping to get a response within a few days.  I got a response back with in a out 2 hours from a fellow named Darren. My email had some technical questions. And was answered by someone that knew something.  Seems to really know his stuff.  They offered to reprogram my ARC at no additional cost. 
    I have no idea. How their extended warrenties are.  But I was very impressed by quality of service.
    I like my magnum as it has both 120/240 coming out. Without the need for stacking o external transformer.
    Also like the fact I can feed inverter 120 or 240 and it handles everything. I think something thatmaybe very useful in an Rv. 
    My statements about my inverter does not apply to all magnum inverters.

    Final note. Posted from a small smart phone. Sorry for typos. 
  • wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Wish I could find a 'Deep Discount' on some of these inverters. They are spendy. But I sure like the quality and reputation of the Magnum line. Like many inverters though, Picking one that will handle the battery voltage on a cold day from the solar charger TCP. Or when equalizing. 15.5vdc may not be enough. Though some in the product line go higher.

    Thanks for all your comments!
  • lkruperlkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    wb7duo said:
    We have a 40' Newmar 5th wheel that I am getting ready to put solar on and will be adding a 3000 watt inverter. Probably Samlex EVO or Magnum. But, these are quite an investment. $1500 and up, plus all the install pieces. Do any of you have any experience with buying an extended warranty that is really worth having? Either enhances the MFG warranty, or covers when it stops.

    Some have so many exclusions, that they really don't cover anything when it's all said and done. :(

    Will have about 520 watts solar, 450ah battery bank, Morningstar Tri-Star MPPT 45, etc...

    Thanks in advance
    Greg


    What are you running that you want a 3000w inverter?   If that is a 12v system, that is 250 amps!   You will need extra large wiring and terminators.    It is really a fire waiting to happen.    Samlex is a very good brand and they do make smaller inverters that also cost much less.

    If you really need that much power, you are much safer (and much less expensive to wire, etc) with a 24v system or even 48v.    Also, depending on your batteries,  they might not be able to handle a 250 amp load, which would take the battery down below 50% in less than one hour.




  • wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    lkruper said:


    What are you running that you want a 3000w inverter?   If that is a 12v system, that is 250 amps!   You will need extra large wiring and terminators.    It is really a fire waiting to happen.    Samlex is a very good brand and they do make smaller inverters that also cost much less.

    If you really need that much power, you are much safer (and much less expensive to wire, etc) with a 24v system or even 48v.    Also, depending on your batteries,  they might not be able to handle a 250 amp load, which would take the battery down below 50% in less than one hour.




    Well, I just threw that 3000 watt in as a place holder. I've done more research, and I feel a 2000 watt, low frequency design with good surge capacity will work fine. Aside from the microwave or toaster for minutes a day, I want to be able to power a circular saw, worm drive, 10" miter saw, small table saw, air compressor. Not all at the same time of course, but on occasion as needed. Yes, I'm aware of the current draw. Everything will be 4/0 cable. Short runs, fused, etc.

    I may also use a smaller (300 watt) PSW inverter wired just for my electronics. TV, dvd, computers, phone chargers. The big one would only switched on as needed.

    I have considered 24volt, but my entire Rig is 12volt. I don't like the idea of having to deal with both voltages.

    But initially, still wondering about an extended warranty... :)

    Thanks for the input.

  • lkruperlkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    wb7duo said:
    lkruper said:


    What are you running that you want a 3000w inverter?   If that is a 12v system, that is 250 amps!   You will need extra large wiring and terminators.    It is really a fire waiting to happen.    Samlex is a very good brand and they do make smaller inverters that also cost much less.

    If you really need that much power, you are much safer (and much less expensive to wire, etc) with a 24v system or even 48v.    Also, depending on your batteries,  they might not be able to handle a 250 amp load, which would take the battery down below 50% in less than one hour.




    Well, I just threw that 3000 watt in as a place holder. I've done more research, and I feel a 2000 watt, low frequency design with good surge capacity will work fine. Aside from the microwave or toaster for minutes a day, I want to be able to power a circular saw, worm drive, 10" miter saw, small table saw, air compressor. Not all at the same time of course, but on occasion as needed. Yes, I'm aware of the current draw. Everything will be 4/0 cable. Short runs, fused, etc.

    I may also use a smaller (300 watt) PSW inverter wired just for my electronics. TV, dvd, computers, phone chargers. The big one would only switched on as needed.

    I have considered 24volt, but my entire Rig is 12volt. I don't like the idea of having to deal with both voltages.

    But initially, still wondering about an extended warranty... :)

    Thanks for the input.

    I have an idea.  Say you spend $1000 for an inverter that has a 5 year warranty.   Take $3.33 per week and put it in the bank.  In five years you can buy another one :)
  • wb7duowb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    That's a good idea!! Keep 20% of your solar install put away for unexpected, after warranty breaks and repairs. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.