Anyone else struggle with customer support from NAS&W and Schneider tech support?

I purchase a complete off-grid kit from Northern Arizona wind & sun that included Schneider MPPT controller and SW4024 inverter. After installation, I find that the inverter fans run almost continuously and after many calls to NAS&W they basically turn me over to Schneider to help me with the problem. Doing my own research, it looks like the issue is that my unit has early firmware that has been updated to correct this problem. After a number of calls to Schneider tech support, they finally agreed that my firmware needed updating to a 3.+ version. I just received a config unit that I had to provide a deposit for that was suppose to upgrade the firmware. There were no instructions that was promised and when I installed the thumb drive provided to see if the installation instructions were loaded, I find the disk is corrupted?? My EE engineer friends told me that Schneider was a top tier company but I'm not seeing it. Am I along with support issues with both NAS&W and Schneider?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    dlarson59 wrote: »
    After a number of calls to Schneider tech support, they finally agreed that my firmware needed updating to a 3.+ version.

Buying a modern inverter or controller is like buying a computer... you can expect to do firmware and software updates. When you purchase an inverter or controller or computer, you need to consider the updates.... Who will do them and what is involved. Schneider doesn't have a reputation as being easy to upgrade. That config unit is something that a solar installer would own and use to update a fleet of inverters under maintenance agreements.

I'm not sure what the role of a retailer should be in this process... if I buy a computer at Best Buy, should I expect them to do my firmware updates?

Sorry I don't have any useful advice for you (I don't have any Schneider equipment)... This post is to defend the retailer a bit and warn others to think about updates when they buy equipment. Search the internet, I'm pretty sure I've read about the Schneider firmware update process somewhere.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring it over and I will update the firmware for you. There is plenty on this forum about doing it yourself though. Sometimes I will ask for the firmware revision to make sure I am being sold a recently manufactured piece of equipment. Stock can sit for a year or so and I do not want my customers to have to deal with it. The SW is fairly new and that is another reason I use the XW as it has most of the firmware that I need for offgrid done long ago. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Folks experience with Schneider tech support is pretty eratic from what ive observed. And that particular inverter has had more than its share of woes, compared to other top tier models. Among them, the fan issue you mention, stacking problems, and very high idle current. Assuming you did your homework then youll know all this. NAWs is a retailer, and while they stock whatever people want to buy , they cant be expected to support products to the extend that you want as they didnt make the product. With inverters never a truer adage is there that you get what you pay for. In my opinion people like that inverter, for the single reason that its cheaper.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi dlarson ..,

I had a similar issue with a Schneider SCC (Charge Controller). It came with horribly old and BUGGY Firmware.

I did ask the seller -- Wind-Sun when ordering it if it was fresh stock, with latest FW ... "Yes!! They just came in" ... OK fine, I bought one, and discovered that it was very old stock, but unused, previously.

Called Wind - Sun, but they were unable/unwilling to help. Called Schneider many times. Generally, each of the Tech folks would say that they had never seen/heard of this issue. Finally got a Tech who knew of the problem, and noted that this BUG had been fixed, several Revs prior.

They did not offer ANY remedy, other than that I should buy the FirmWare "Implanter", or perhaps locate someone, like the reseller, who had one. No other offer/remedy at all whatsoever.

Schneider makes much/most/all of their Solar Hardware in China. They appear to have a very long supply chain, and the Distributors appear to NOT rotate inventory. They appear to have very large build-quantities, that magnify this issue. AND, Schneider appears to NEVER, EVER Update the FW in any of their products in inventory ... not their problem. And when inventory is sold, it becomes someone else's problem. NEAT!

I still buy from and recommend Wind-Sun. They are honest, ship quickly, and know the products that they carry. They just could not help in this case, which WAS Schneider's doing and problem to solve, IMO.

Why not RETURN the Implanter, and the SW inverter as DEFECTIVE?? And ask for your shipping costs to be reimbursed?

The thing that makes the SW inverter line appear good, is primarlily the price, but you often get what you pay for ... Just my experience. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    The best solution is to buy the combox, but be advised the combox for the sw is different then the one for the XW, they are found on ebay cheaper than any retailer.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    new2PV wrote: »
    The best solution is to buy the combox, but be advised the combox for the sw is different then the one for the XW, they are found on ebay cheaper than any retailer.

That is not quite right. I just sent one down to Peru for an XW and SW system. You are mixing up the Prosine inverter I think. Here is a link to the wind/sun store.

http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/xain/schneider-electric-sw-inverters-and-accessories/schneider-electric-sw-accessories/schneider-electric-conext-combox.html
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    I was told by a Schneider tech that they are different and not compatible, but I think you are correct. However they do make two different part numbers ,one for the XW and SW, but the freedom series SW inverter, uses a different combox, so just becareful you dont get the older version with the part number 809-0918

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XANTREX-CONEXT-COMBOX-FOR-FREEDOM-SW-SERIES-INVERTER-/301595671236?hash=item463880bac4

XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I got one of the first ComBox's that came thru NAWS and it has worked with any ZanBus device that I have plugged into it, even a Zantrex GT 3.8 grid inverter. My XW MPPT 60-150 was less tha 6 months from date of manufacture, the oldest was the XW 4024 and it was 11 months from manufacture. Both came with latest available firmware.
    As mentioned the Conext SW is fairly new and did/does have some issues, looked at them then decided to spend extra for the XW glad I did for multiple reasons. In buying computer software or hardware the first thing you do after getting it up and running is to check for program firmware updates. Combox is the best for doing upgrade and seeing what is going on with system. My experience
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!