Battery over voltage fault?

My tracer mppt was giving me a battery over voltage fault, the solution of which is to disconnect the PV, so I did, then ran my fan for roughly 15 seconds to use some juice, which got rid of the fault. Am I going to have to constantly disconnect my panel whenever this fault appears? Isn't the point of a charge controller to automate this?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant' tell from your description what's happening, perhaps you have a single string of 47 - 60 volt panels going into your charge controller charging a single 2 volt cell...

We might be able to give you some help with more information.

I'd suspect you have too small a battery bank for your array or too high a voltage coming into the charge controller... but really just guessing... Describe your system perhaps even add to the foot in your preferences...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • K1ngN0thing
    K1ngN0thing Solar Expert Posts: 27
  • K1ngN0thing
    K1ngN0thing Solar Expert Posts: 27
    It's been a few days, and I can't remember exactly which light was flashing, but it may have been the battery light, which would just mean that it was full. I'll plug it back in and report back if that's not the case.