Need Advice on this Battery

Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
A buddy of mine is thinking about getting into Solar. He cant get on due to changing internet providers and asked me to get advice about this battery. He works at O'reilly Automotive and can get a discount on this battery

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSB5/GC110DT.oap?ck=Search_gc110dt_-1_-1&keyword=gc110dt
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a typical golf cart battery. Anyone can buy a similar one at many Sams Club and Costco. My local Sams has a price of about $80.

Need a hefty discount to beat that.

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Zakarume
    So it should be good to use for solar?
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Zakarume wrote: »
    So it should be good to use for solar?
    Yes. Not the best, but very available and a particularly good choice for a first battery bank, which many users murder while learning the ropes of solar.
    As long as you are not trying for longest possible life of the battery bank and do not have unusual circumstances that require use of AGM, they will be fine.
    Just make sure that they have been kept properly charged since the initial delivery from the factor or warehouse.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Zakarume
    I will let him know. I will aslo tell him to get on forum to ask question since he will be learning
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
  • lkruper
    lkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Johann wrote: »
    Our sams club selling then for $84 and they have 215 ah 6 volts.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?navAction=

Anyone know why these batteries are not available in California?
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    No, but it is not just CA. Only about half the states have listed availability. Hard to figure as they do sell lead acid car batteries in all states.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they sell 2 different GC batteries depending on location. So you might see if they have a different brand GC battery.

Of course California regs are so strict...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they are only available to the eastern side of the US. It may be a shipping thing.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    And the two batteries may in fact be the same battery from the same underlying manufacturer but sold under different names in different parts of the country because of historic trademark or marketing/distribution agreement issues.

Out here in CA we get Dryers ice cream, but in the eastern half of the country the name Dryers could not be used because of the prior registration of Bryers.
    You can read the more complete story here.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Looks very much like a re-badged Deka / East Penn Pro-Master.