Online Solar dealers?

Options
kell490
kell490 Registered Users Posts: 10
Has anyone had an dealings with this company? http://www.acosolar.com/ I'm looking to install a small Grid tie system my self they sell. I have contacted them they sent me some simple diagrams to get me started with my permit, but the guy seemed to be in China that the emails came from . There prices were about 25% cheaper for a similar kit sold from http://www.wholesalesolar.com/ which seems to be a well known company in the solar business.

Here is a sample of what they quoted me.

Renesola Solar 255W JC255M-24/Bb Solar Panel Poly $188 each
Enphase M250/60HZ micro inverter $126 each
Enphase ENV-120-01 Envoy Communications Gateway $426

Roof racks and other parts 8 panel kit totaled out around $3973

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi kell..,

The Host of this site has been in the Renewable Energy business for decades. In my experience, they are honest and know the business well.

They are Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. They do design consulting:

http://www.solar-electric.com/capr.html/

FWIW. My experience and opinions. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're new dealing with someone like Arizona Wind and Sun that can and will answer all those little questions, can make your install much easier. When I was looking at wholesale panels Acosolar was only dealing in contain size lots, The Renesola panels you quoted are based on a 25 panel sale (pallet sized sales) Other can match those prices. Also note that shipping on small quantities can be a huge amount. So find out their location (FOB).
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Most online dealers offer better deals if you call them direct. For example northern arizona wind and sun.
  • kell490
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    If you're new dealing with someone like Arizona Wind and Sun that can and will answer all those little questions, can make your install much easier. When I was looking at wholesale panels Acosolar was only dealing in contain size lots, The Renesola panels you quoted are based on a 25 panel sale (pallet sized sales) Other can match those prices. Also note that shipping on small quantities can be a huge amount. So find out their location (FOB).

I actually spoke to them on the phone today this is their solar kit not the pallet price for panels with the solar kits which is the one I'm looking at. Link is provided below http://www.acosolar.com/2040-watt-re...rid-tie-system They said I don't have to be a solar contractor to buy from them they gave me a quote for the kit at what the installer price is. Shipping is $250 for the kit but I could easily drive 5 hours about 300 miles. I have a brand new Ram 2500 Cummins truck needs some highway miles on it.

Thanks for the tip to Northern AZ wind and Solar I found this forum by google search had no idea it was connected to a dealer just figured that out today ill check them out as well.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kell490 wrote: »
    I'm looking to install a small Grid tie system my self

I am all for DIY projects, but there is something you should realize this before you start: For many folks the most difficult part of the install is the permitting and inspection.

If your system is not permitted and inspected, it is illegal. Your insurance company may not pay your claims (fire or liability) if the system is illegal. The local installers in your area know the idiosyncrasies of the local laws, and even more important, they know the idiosyncrasies of the local inspectors.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks pretty reasonably priced, I might ask about the 6 or 8 panels since they have 1530 watts in the description.

Arizona Wind and Sun has been very generous in allowing discussion about outside vendors, I personally would ask that you not contact them for help after purchasing from a wholesaler, though you might ask questions here.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kell490
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »

I am all for DIY projects, but there is something you should realize this before you start: For many folks the most difficult part of the install is the permitting and inspection.

If your system is not permitted and inspected, it is illegal. Your insurance company may not pay your claims (fire or liability) if the system is illegal. The local installers in your area know the idiosyncrasies of the local laws, and even more important, they know the idiosyncrasies of the local inspectors.

--vtMaps

I'm well aware of the permitting I don't plan on installing an "illegal solar system" The permitting isn't as tough as you think most of the information is already online you just copy and paste it using google maps pictures and diagrams if you have some background in working with electrical. Nothing against hiring someone but the ROI goes up so much not really worth it for me to do that. With my employer being APS my own electrical utility I have lots of resources there I can draw on. Here is a guy who went though the process didn't look to difficult to me