Options
2»

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cupcake wrote: »

71kw?

What is the point of solar then? The grid is cheaper, more reliable and easier. Especially at this 71kw level.

Im @ 900watts. No bills, NO DEBT, nothing owed.

Some times this solar stuff reminds me of when the Toyota Prius came out. To become 'gas free' pay for a vehicle that cost TWICE as much as its traditional counterpart. Then wait a few years and yep, all that 'technology' is obsolete (don't see to many first gen Priuses ont he road now do ya..?)

I can only imagine the fallout in a few years when these residential mega-systems start failing... I can hear it now: "BUT THEY PROMISED ME FREE ENERGY!!!" "NOOOOOO!!!!"

Free energy for the masses is a pipe-dream.

Conservation + commonsense = the workaround the the above reality

- Sweet Cakes

The point of grid tie solar is to reduce the bill to near nothing i.e net zero. My bill last month was $23.62 (of that $4.33 was night time generation) and I put 682 kWh in the "on-peak bank" to use later in the year. I paid for my solar setup in 3.5 years and it continues to provide excellent service. Prior to the solar setup a typical bill in mid summer could be as high as $600-$700 with on-peak rates being $0.175 a kWh. Other APS plans have on-peak rates as high as $0.254 per kWh.

BTW in order to live in a climate of 115F air conditioning is a must. I think my system is now as easy as it comes, only requiring an occasional hosing to remove dust and debris.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the point of solar then? The grid is cheaper, more reliable and easier. Especially at this 71kw level.

Well a system will pay for it's self many times over in Arizona and he'll be money ahead!
    I can only imagine the fallout in a few years when these residential mega-systems start failing... I can hear it now: "BUT THEY PROMISED ME FREE ENERGY!!!" "NOOOOOO!!!!"

He's got less moving parts than your system does! the solar panels are very reliable, I have some 30+ years old that are still producing nicely. He may have to replace the inverters but he'll still be money ahead.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Jake48
    Jake48 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options
    well you do make a point, note: the second quote by photowhit. just my 2 cents i did just spend over 40 grand for back up, but when you see fish in the see do you fish it or catch it?, NO WAY! i use my new mega system to drain the water and caught the hole fish'es xD.
    no sorry well every one has there opinion,
    and being portable as much as you can rewards your hard earned bucks.
    hmmm i thought of having that money saved, but what am i going to buy with it? same old? i took some what big leap at start but hey, i thought i might find a fortune by taking that leap, and don't black out surge? well, i'd recommend getting a surge protector if one ever happen's, do to climate change.
    you can ask your electricity co, to install one still can be rewarding :).and it's better then paying over your limit and power off can be boring for 1 hour max!.
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Jake, I guess you said it all.
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k