fusing battery

javadz
javadz Registered Users Posts: 20
hello alls
can i use a solar Gpv fuse for batery protection ?(since the Gpv Solar fuse are for continus current)
also, can i use a dc breaker to protect batterie but did the dc breaker can let the current go in the two dirrection (charge and disharge)

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can certainly use DC breakers, be sure as you suggest, that you get un-polarized breakers. Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (NAWS) offers a good selection!

GPV fuses look to be lower amperage than you would typically use for batteries, but if they are in the size you need and rated for DC, you should be good-to-go.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    I prefer to use breakers as fuses can fail do to volt drop heating between the fuse and holder.