Maxed Out Classic

Alaska Man
Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
With the panels I have the Midnight is maxed out. Mostly because of HyperVoc. At 70+ amps of P.V. I still have room with the Classic, but I would like to add two more 250W 12V panels to the west side of the house. I was thinking I could get away with running them in series into the combiner box for now, until I get another CC. Since they will be on the west side they will not be getting sun directly when the southern array does and Vice-Versa. Is this doable or stupido' ?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Assuming vmp-panel matches between the old and new. ... Why not.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're fine, I believe the Classic will just limit it's throughput/output so long as your OK with the VOC.

In fact if you don't record higher amps running, It's likely cost effective and fine to leave the system up and running this way. I believe you're active over on the Midnite forums, suspect boB will chime in there.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Alaska Man wrote: »
    With the panels I have the Midnight is maxed out. Mostly because of HyperVoc. At 70+ amps of P.V. I still have room with the Classic, but I would like to add two more 250W 12V panels to the west side of the house. I was thinking I could get away with running them in series into the combiner box for now, until I get another CC. Since they will be on the west side they will not be getting sun directly when the southern array does and Vice-Versa. Is this doable or stupido' ?

Have you considered the option of upgrading to either 24 or 48 volts? That would reduce current flows significantly, but of course would mean purchasing a new inverter. When it comes time to adding a new CC, If it were me, I would consider choosing a new inverter. That would give you plenty more charging room, plus better efficiency.

I'm currently at 24 volts with my system, and the big limitation I have is with charging current through my Outback inverter at 24 volts. I'm contemplating going to 48 volts?
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I have thought about it and if I were to do it over again I would go 24V for sure. I just bought the Xentrex Inverter/Charger to the tune of $2,500 a few years ago. So I'm riding this out until I need to replace it or I move and leave the stuff here.Then I'll go with a 24V system.

Thanks guy's.........