Remote Temperature Sensor

Options
Installing my system, I see the Outback MX60 charge controllers have a jack for a RTS, but so do the pair of Outback inverters ( along with a jack to run a line to the HUB4 for 'master/slave' configuration ).....and the RTS is recommended for the charge controller, so I ordered a couple RTS for them.

WHY would the inverters need an RTS, since the charge controllers do the actual battery charging ? IS is necessary to get two more RTS for the inverters, or was this just in case you didn't use Outback charge controllers ?

Thanks !

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Remote Temperature Sensor

TnAndy,

The inverters have built in battery chargers which are sometimes used to charge the battery bank. For example, if you use your G-inverters in a utility-interactive mode (ability to “sell” to the grid), then the built-in chargers might be called upon at night to briefly charge the batteries should they fall below the “re-float” setting. (This is rare unless you have DC loads directly connected to the batteries.)

You must configure your system as follows (see attached drawing):

Hub Port #1: Master Inverter
    Hub Port #2: Classic Slave Inverter
    Hub Port #3: MX60 A
    Hub Port #4: MX60 B

Hub Mate Port: Mate

You’ll need just one RTS for this configuration, and it must be plugged into the master inverter, which in turn must be plugged into Port #1. This inverter will share the battery temp data with the other inverter and the two MX charge controllers via the Hub network.

I invite you to join the OutBack forum, where you’ll find lots of OutBack-specific information and technical support. See: www.outbackpower.com/forum

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

Got it....thanks, and thanks for the Outback link.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have Trace SW series but the Outback are similar it this aspect.

The inverters are syncronously locked to grid (if present). They will push to grid or load if battery voltage exceeds the set charge point of the inverters.

The temp sensor modify the charge set point voltage based on temperature of battery. Colder battery calls for higher float charge voltage. This is based on lead acid battery and is same for solar charge controller.

For the solar charge controller to deliver the most power you have to make sure the solar controller charge voltage is set slightly higher then the inverters. Having temp sensor only on solar controller or only on inverter may cause inverter to raise its charge voltage above solar controller at some temperature.

Either have them all with temp sensors or don't use any temp sensors. You can always manually adjust the set points for winter temperatures.