Magnum MS 2012

Spent a couple of hours on the site, and there is some good knowledge here, so if you can't solve my problem, I have another good forum in my favorits.

About a year ago, I purchased two Magnum MS 2012's (acutally I wanted the 4024), but I got a very good deal ($500.00 apiece) they are new, never installed, in the box. The owner told me they could be stacked and showed me right in Da book that it can be, "series or parallel stacked" on the spec sheet.

Am now wanting to hook them up and my good deal is falling apart. Called the factory on how to parallel them, they told me they can not be series or paralleled at all. I asked why was it in the specs and he would not answer. Something is fishy here. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Their on line specs say they can too.

I want to end up with all 120 V, so I would rather not series. Will parallel give me this or do I have two lemons? The factory guy also said I did not need 2, I could get 30 amps from one because their were two outlets. I either don't understand something or he just got back from a martini lunch.

Ray D
Sorry it's kind of a long post.

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Magnum MS 2012

You can not parallel stack those MS2012s... You can series stack the MS4024s and soon parallel stack the MS4024 and the 48 Volt MS inverters.

Where did you see this again about being able to stack the MS2012 inverter/charger ??

boB
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

That's fast Bob. Here are the links & quotes to the specs.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/MS%20Manual%20(64-0007%2012-04).pdf

Look at page 25 at the bottom under "Stacking cable kit

"The stacking cable kit enables users to configure 2 inverter/chargers for 120/240 volt AC output. Both ME and RD inverters are series stackable while the MS series inverters are series or parallel stackable"

and then on page 35 under General features and capabilities and its the very last one.

"Series and parallel stacking interface 120/240 V........Yes"

Then here:http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Accessories/64-0009%20Rev%202%20(ME-SSI).pdf on page 2

"For example, you can stack a MS2812 with another MS2812, but you cannot stack a MS4024 with a MS4024AE, a MS2012 with a MS2812, or a RD1824 with a RD2824"
  • System2
    http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...7%2012-04).pdf

Look at page 25 at the bottom under "Stacking cable kit

"The stacking cable kit enables users to configure 2 inverter/chargers for 120/240 volt AC output. Both ME and RD inverters are series stackable while the MS series inverters are series or parallel stackable"

and then on page 35 under General features and capabilities and its the very last one.

"Series and parallel stacking interface 120/240 V........Yes"

Then here:http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...20(ME-SSI).pdf on page 2

"For example, you can stack a MS2812 with another MS2812, but you cannot stack a MS4024 with a MS4024AE, a MS2012 with a MS2812, or a RD1824 with a RD2824"

Okay, here is the official word form Magnum:

1. Just because the Stacking cable kit reads the the MS inverters are series
    or parallel stackable does not mean the entire series is series stackable and none of them parallel stackeable
    2. In the example that says you can stack a MS2812 with another MS2812, does
    not mean that those particular units can be stacked, this is an example
    only.
    3. No it does not say that the 4012 is the only unit stackable and oh, by the
    way, you can't parallel it either.

Disapointing, I bought these by this information, not realizing that their specifications were not meant to be specific. Sounds like a bill in Congress. doesn't it. I hope the units perform better than their paperwork.

Ray D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. In the example that says you can stack a MS2812 with another MS2812, does
    not mean that those particular units can be stacked, this is an example
    only.

Disapointing, I bought these by this information, not realizing that their specifications were not meant to be specific.

DANG THAT HURTS !!! Sorry you had to find that the hard way, from what you posted, I would have thought the same thing, - I mean, they can't print it unless it's true, can they??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• boB
    mike90045 wrote: »
    DANG THAT HURTS !!! Sorry you had to find that the hard way, from what you posted, I would have thought the same thing, - I mean, they can't print it unless it's true, can they??

OK... Well I'm off to give ~SOMEBODY~ a Spankin' ! I'm sorry too, Ray. I do think you will like the inverters though.

boB
  • boB
    boB wrote: »
    OK... Well I'm off to give ~SOMEBODY~ a Spankin' ! I'm sorry too, Ray. I do think you will like the inverters though.
    boB

OK, I just got through talking with some folks downstairs, and here's what I now know and understand...

The reason that the manual said it was stackable was that the MS2812's actually USED to be stackable with each other. Also, I am told that dealers know that the present day MS2812s can not stack.

Maybe you can go back to the dealer or wherever you bought these units and have them fix you up somehow ??

This stuff can sure get complicated and sometimes things are just not very clear.

I would certainly hope that the documentation you read gets updated to avoid any further confusion with this issue.

boB :D
  • System2

I allready gave myself the spanking. boB I am sure you are right, infact I'll bet you the MS2012's were stackable at one time also, as mine set in the box for a year and may have set in the store for a year. They must have had serious trouble to say they aren't, so I am probably better off to buy the right one, because I do want 25-30 amps 120 V. Mine are new, never installed so I should not have much trouble selling them. It just gets me to have to pay for all my mistakes, and then turn around and pay for others. (edited by niel)
    Ray D

P.S. I do like this site though, so I will stick around and I promise to quit crying, be a big boy and do more positive posts.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

too much information....

"3. No it does not say that the 4012 is the only unit stackable and oh, by the
    way, you can't parallel it either"

Just to be clear...

there is only one (1) Magnum Inverter unit that is stackable.. the 4012.... Right?

But is is not parallelable....?

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • boB

>>3. No it does not say that the 4012 is the only unit stackable

You must mean the MS4024 which is series stackable. The only stacking method for Magnum inverters "has been" series stacking to make to 120V legs. I'm not exactly sure why stacking for the the 12V sinewave was discontinued.

boB
  • System2

Okay, here is the real official word. I finally found a dealer that was as confused over this issue as I and reached the right factory guy. All ME, MS and RD series inverters are "series" stackable. All MS series were mean't to be "parallel stackable", but ended up not being stable enough, (they had trouble with the sine wave synchronizing) so the only one that can be paralleled is the 4024.

Doesn't sound like much to have a cover up over, does it.

Ray D
  • System2

so you have 2 2012 models do you want to sell them if so call me [edit... PM him. -Bill] my name is Daryl
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I don't think anything is going to happen here... This is a three year old post with somebody that has not logged in for at least the last two years.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset