Thieves Stealing Solar Panels...

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Keep an eye out for solar panel thieves (mostly in California), and if you are doing a new install--think about calling up an alarm company to hook up some sort of trip wire system if the panels are removed...
Solar Panels Are Vanishing, Only to Reappear on the Internet
Police departments in California — the biggest market for solar power, with more than 33,000 installations — are seeing a rash of such burglaries, though nobody compiles overall statistics.

Investigators do not believe the thieves are acting out of concern for their carbon footprints. Rather, authorities assume that many panels make their way to unwitting homeowners, sometimes via the Internet.

Last November, someone tried to sell solar panels stolen from a toll road in Newport Beach for $100 each on eBay. Detectives from the local police department entered the bidding and won the panels, which were worth nearly $1,500 apiece, according to Sgt. Evan Sailor, a Newport Beach police spokesman.
-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Re: Thieves Stealing Solar Panels...

Thanks for the heads-up.

One detail in the article seemed inconsistent. This woman, Ms. Hoffman, had 16 panels stolen, and her insurance is going to pay $95,000 to replace the system? Those are some fine panels!

If she ever does shoot the thief, I'll send her a reimbursement for the shells, as a thank-you for improving our world.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Roderick wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up.

One detail in the article seemed inconsistent. This woman, Ms. Hoffman, had 16 panels stolen, and her insurance is going to pay $95,000 to replace the system? Those are some fine panels!

If she ever does shoot the thief, I'll send her a reimbursement for the shells, as a thank-you for improving our world.

we have developed a new product that will stop solar panel theft before it happens.
    NEW SOLAR PANEL PROTECTION
    Stop solar panel theft before it happens.
    Application of guarding and tracking solar panels and small wind turbines.
    The solar tracker comes with a hardwire adapter which can be used to trickle charge the device from the panels own power supply, the sun.
    Or the solar tracker can be externally mounted and operate up to six month on its own battery pack.
    Should the panel be stolen the tracker will then operate on its backup internal battery to allow you to track the location of stolen panel.
    The Solar tracker is one of the smallest and lightest GPS tracking devices on the market today offering full functionality, including the ability to set your own tracking interval and create virtual geo-fences around a your solar panels.
    What's more, the mapping system can be licensed offering further long-term savings by eliminating the need to pay activation and monthly subscription charges.
    With the solar tracker you set the perimeter around the solar panels and if the panels are moved outside this protected area the gps device will notify you.
    You Get Instant Geofence Alerts via SMS or E-mail
    Based on your personal preferences, get instant alerts via e-mail or text message the moment your GPS solar panel Tracker goes outside of a designated area.
    Stop theft before it happens.
    We are the only company offering this device for this use, you can’t buy it any were else.
    You can enter any phone number into the tracker and that number will be contacted should your solar panel be moved from its locating.
    And you can track the solar panel if it is stolen. Just like a car lojack system the solar tracker works the same way. How many solar panels will you lose to theft before you decide to put a stop to it.
    Also suitable for small wind turbine systems protection. 100% Web Based Secure Online Access
    Access your location information from any computer with Internet, anywhere in the world. The Solar tracker uses our unique Bolt Server, which allows users to check important location data securely online.
    Unparalleled Accuracy Within 15 Ft. Of Exact Location
    You will get an accurate GPS location to within 15 feet under open sky where the device can get the greatest GPS satellite readout. Even if your tracker moves indoors, you will get an accurate location update before the GPS Tracker enters a building alerting you where the GPS Tracker is located.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

We have a couple theft deterant's as well one is a 200 pound dog the other is my Stag Arms AR15 with 2 30 round mags
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Roderick wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up.

wow, $95000 for 16 panels!!!!!!! that's $5937.50 per panel or about $29/w installed if each pv is about 200w. i don't think labor costs are that much to reinstall some pvs. just who is the real criminal?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or the solar tracker can be externally mounted and operate up to six month on its own battery pack.
    Should the panel be stolen the tracker will then operate on its backup internal battery to allow you to track the location of stolen panel.

Seems doomed to fail. Maybe they could be incorporated into Enphase inverter modules, but if I saw some gadget on the back of a PV panel, I'd know it was an alien device.
    But then again, crooks aren't known for their smarts.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Seems doomed to fail. Maybe they could be incorporated into Enphase inverter modules, but if I saw some gadget on the back of a PV panel, I'd know it was an alien device.
    But then again, crooks aren't known for their smarts.

you might have a good point there and maybe some of them may be thwarted by a sign saying 'danger high voltage'. the down side might be the idiots in your local government (the other thieves) getting alarmed by your sign.:roll:
    i thought of 'danger radiation' too, but then the government involvement goes up the ladder. you would be stretching the truth in both cases as 1> you didn't say how how of a voltage it is and 2> it just happens to be solar radiation from the sun.:p
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I would just use anti-theft hardware. If you make it too difficult (i.e., special tools required) then you can stop 99% of thieves cold.

Here's just one type out of dozens:

http://www.tufnutworks.com/category.aspx?id=1
  • niel

any obstacle in the way of a thief does help be it a sign, hardware, an alarm, a camera, or even just being out of easy reach. as was discussed in many previous threads, if a thief targets you and is determined to get them, he will get them with no guarantee you'll get them back even if a gps is attached. all you can hope for is for whatever methods you use to work. if a thief is mad that he is detered from his goal he may elect to destroy them or some other part of your property.
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

The biggest problems with thieves is prior to installation.

Copper wire, generators, tools etc... Are prime targets from unguarded worksites. If I understand the story correctly that is when the panels were stolen. Prior to installation.

For those that have part time living places I can see theft a problem. I learned the hard way that no matter how remote the location there is always a thief. The biggest problem would be know when and item gets stolen. The longer a theft is undiscovered the less likely it is to be recovered.
  • niel

i believe that would be the problem of the installer to secure those things until installed even if it means bringing only to the site that which will be installed that day. i already addressed that of an installed perspective being on the home owner.
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭

wouldnt it be neat to add a small "charge" to the frames LOL

might be a possibility if the frames are not grounded on a DIY install with no inspections but Im not expert.

"WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE"

"THIEVES WILL BE ELECTRICUTED"

hey imagine that... solar powered solar panels!
  • niel

hey, why not build a moat and put up a barbed wire fence too? how about some guards?:cry: i know that's all going too far as is something that could shock somebody is going too far too, but your idea can be lethal to some people under the right circumstances.
    keep in mind that if a criminal sees or knows of your going through great lengths to protect something that he will equate this to mean it is very valuable and the more valuable he thinks it to be the more likely he'll target that which you try to protect. be as stealthy about it as you can and if you can so as the protective measures don't lure them to try. it's also a good idea not to brag to the wrong people. for example you could give a reporter a story on how you're 'going green' (they love catch phrases), but you don't want to say your address and how much the things cost. that's like a sign to a thief saying steal me here.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Be aware that this is a zombie thread from over 1 year ago... A new poster was trying to sell their GPS tracking/anti-theft system for solar RE equipment (a site which I did not find by the way).

I have no idea if this article represents current issues or not a year later.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Around here, the most stolen panels are physically small, and usually the 12v or 24v variety as the thieves can use them directly.

Solution: Install big panels with high voltages (and be sure to put the voltage on an easily readable plate!) :D
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭

be aware that injuring a thief can result in a lawsuit. If that injury was intentional, such as from an electrical shock, the liability consequences might increase.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

it is sad when a theif has more rights than we do!
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Slappy wrote: »
    it is sad when a theif has more rights than we do!

even worse when their the ones making the laws.

yes, solar powered solar panels. I have no problem with that. warning stickers not required.
  • MGar
    MGar Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    I would just use anti-theft hardware. If you make it too difficult (i.e., special tools required) then you can stop 99% of thieves cold.

Here's just one type out of dozens:

http://www.tufnutworks.com/category.aspx?id=1

Good idea, and how about the wheel nut locks on car rims, It's nice to use stainless nyloc nuts.
    I sure that the thief could defeat the Tufnut by placing another nut on top, the Tri-grocve with vise grips, and the breakaway not removable?
    How about a cordless grinder? They do make them with 4 Ah 18 volt battery.

Video camera's with a DVR. sent to web. or a "Firing Range" sign on driveway.