a good LED is hard to kill

john p
john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
Something that certainly differentiates LED lights from all others.. You drop a std glass light or a CFL while its powered and almost instant light failure. But a Led one just keeps working .. OK with a rather narrow directional "beam".

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: a good LED is hard to kill

Gotta be careful though because that exposes line voltage on the pc board.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny seeing this post, on a day week when I've had 2 of my corn cob type LEDs start failing, with section not working, one getting hot. The one in my fridge is fine and my outdoor entrance one has been on and working fine for 18 months now. but I have sections not working in 2 now, pictures, maybe tomorrow. I also picked up a 4 watt single led desk lamp that I really like! from goodwill of all places, looked new maybe a Target reject.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    I had many cob lights fail after a year , dull to sections failing .

VT
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    I have been super lucky.. Had only 2 LED bulbs. almost fail?? They still work but the light is very yellow. both Cree MR16s.. 4 YRS at 12 hrs a night ..Not bad really.. MY "new " broken 5w bulb has turned out to be a very good work light. great for places like in ceiling space.. .concentrated beam. very bright even 5w.... I find the light output amazing. 5w but you cant look directly at it, Compare that to say a 15 w CFL or incandescent bulb....

LEDS now have really come of age...the advantages are to great to ignore..The bule ting many had a few yrs ago is now gone.. But for fisherman that use lights for atracting fish. The blue tinge is best for fish to see.. Old lamps were 2kk now they use 200w for same result.. Makes for using smaller generator and the fuel saving.. usually 20 per boat are used.