7A Cheapo SCC vs 15A MPPT Sunsaver

bajasurfer
bajasurfer Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
Hello All,
Last week I removed a Northern Industrial Tools 7A solar charge controller [looks like the Sunguard unit] & replaced it with a Morningstar 15A MPPT SCC in my Baja beach shack. [Thanks go to our forum sponsors [NAWS] for great customer service.]

Not that there was a problem with the old controller, but everybody on this forum speaks so highly of the MPPT unit, I felt it would be a good investment; especially since I plan on swapping the current small panels [60W/18V working, ~3.4A total] for higher output panels in the future.

Before the swap, the old controller would always charge the batteries [2x12V, ~200A/hrs, 2 months old] fully from a weekend's use after the usual week's rest. I always saw over 13V on the voltmeter upon arrival- have only checked specific gravity once [3 weeks ago], but it was perfect.

After a full week of rest with incredible sunshine [not hot, just sunny] on the new MPPT unit, the batteries were not fully charged. We did not deplete the batteries the previous weekend any more than we normally do...100% 12V fluorescent lighting @ ~350W/hrs per day for 2 days.

The only other change made was adding a fuse [15A bus] between the PV & the SCC. Wiring run from PV is ~10', 16AWG. Wiring from SCC to battery is ~2' 14AWG, which was fused [15A bus] before the new SCC was installed. If placing the fuse between the PV & SCC was a mistake, please advise. Don't need a remote temp sensor since SCC is @ same height as batteries, ~24" away, same ambient temp.

When we left this morning, voltage was 11.92V. If the batteries are not full by this coming wknd, the old controller is going back in. It may not be fancy [or expensive], but it worked.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the MPPT controller, or if my 60W/3.5A is insufficient to drive the MPPT unit, or ??? What's the deal? Any input welcome.

Thanks,
Larry A
aka bajasurfer

Comments

• _OS_
    _OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Re: 7A Cheapo SCC vs 15A MPPT Sunsaver

Hi Larry,

I have a few suggestions since I have the MPPT controller myself.

If you haven't done so already I would connect a PC to the SunSaver and check if all the settings are OK. Sometimes a dealer alters the settings in a unit and forgets to change back to the default settings. I am not saying that NAWS has done this but it would be a good thing to check anyway. You need a Morningstar "dongle" between the SunSaver and the PC which is free of charge from Morningstar. Just e-mail their customer service and you will receive it in a few days.

The SunSaver has a self consumption of 35mA (4.2 Ah in five days). I do not know the self consumption of the CC you replace but I do not think it is the self consumption of the SunSaver that is causing the problem.

All this said, I installed a SunSaver MPPT myself three weeks ago and I am also experiencing different charging behaviour than before. I have not enough data yet to report back but I am very curious of any responses you might get in this forum.

Regards,
    Ole
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Larry,

The real test is whether the combination of the 60 W module (~17 Vmp x ~3.5 A Imp?) and either controller can fully charge the battery bank (12 V x ~200 Ah). The charge current will be but 1.75% of battery capacity, and that’s a tad on the low side. Also, the target absorption stage voltage should be ~14.4 V ref 77 F (25 C) battery temperature.

Was the “old” controller ever able to get the battery bank to that voltage and hold it there for several hours?

MPPT works by converting “extra” PV module voltage (the difference between the battery voltage and the modules operational Vmp) into additional charging current. If the module is hot and/or the battery voltage is high, then there may be little or no “extra” voltage to convert. In that case, MPPT can't help.

Module temperature is a function of both ambient temperature and insolation. A fully illuminated module (bright noon Sun) will run up to ~35 C above ambient, depending on mounting style. If ambient is 30 C (86 F), the module temp could be 65 C.

65 C is 40 C above module test specs, and would cause module Vmp to drop by ~20%, or from 17 V Vmp STC to 13.6 V. Neither a PWM controller nor a (buck-type) MPPT controller could drive a battery to the 14.4 V target voltage under these conditions. :cry:

Installing a larger array (~200 W; the sooner the better) and configuring your system for 24 V / 12 V (24 V nominal array voltage and 12 V nominal battery voltage) should help realize the benefit of MPPT technology and correctly charge the batteries.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Its hard to say what is for sure happening without getting detailed information from the charger

You can get the modbus to rs232 adapter for Free by contacting Morningstar and run my software ( free as well ). Then you will have detailed information to what the charger is doing. You also need a 6 wire phone cable ( RJ-11 ) that connects to the SunSaver and the adapter

You can get the software here

http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/sc-view-morningstar-sunsaver-mppt-pc-monintoring-software-t634.html

You do need to setup the SunSaver's dip-switch's for your battery-type and charging set points that's included in the manual that came with the charger
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

And to clarify what Jim implied--get your battery fully charged quickly (using the old controller or a gas generator)...

Letting a flooded/wet cell lead acid battery sit below 75% charge for days/weeks at a time will quickly kill the battery(ies).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wxh3
    wxh3 Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭

As I have described in another thread, I seem to be having a problem with my SunSaver MPPT due to its temperature sensor incorrectly reading too high. At night it is reading 32C when my own thermometer positioned right next to sensor shows ~26C. During the day at full charging, my thermometer shows ~28C and the controller is showing 40C. I assume this is due to heat from the controller and/or a faulty sensor.

This I believe is causing the battery charging thresholds and levels to be adjusted almost a volt too low (for a 24V system). I don't know if you might be experiencing a similar problem.

I will probably try to buy an RTS, but I think the controller's sensor should be doing a better job. I think my old Prostar's sensor worked ok...at least I saw the expected aborption charge voltage and not something considerably less.
  • wxh3

I should note, I don't think you really need the cable output/MSVIEW software to verify that this might be the problem. Simply measure the battery voltage when your controller is in absorb (green light flashing once per sec) or float stage (once every two secs) and compare to what they manual says it should be for your battery type. Then check temp at your battery bank and what the difference is from 25C.

The MPPT adjust charge voltage by -5mV per cell per degree Celsius. A 12V battery would thus be adjusted by -30mV per degree Celsius. If controller for example incorrectly thinks your batteries are 10C warmer than they really are, it would charge them (and set thresholds) at 0.3V too low of a value.

I am certainly no expert in this area so people please correct me if I am wrong. I don't know if this really might explain at least part of this poster's undercharging.
  • Solar Guppy
    wxh3 wrote: »
    As I have described in another thread, I seem to be having a problem with my SunSaver MPPT due to its temperature sensor incorrectly reading too high. less.

I ran into the same issue when testing the MorningStar Mppt unit, the internal sensor always reads high. I brought up this issue with MorningStar and pointed out that using the internal sensor would almost always result in undercharged battery's as the unit would adjust the charge voltages using the incorrect internal temperature.

There response is it was safer than no sensor and buyers should always get the remote sensor. This is why when I recommend the charger I make the point to potential purchasers also get the remote sensor.

For the OP, hooking up a PC will show ALL the operational information and lead to a fastest understanding of how the unit is operating.

If that's not an option then the manual explains is detail the led's and dip switch setting. You should be able to see a solid green with a fast blink every 5 seconds if the unit is in Mppt charging

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SSMPPT.IOM.EN.011.pdf
  • wxh3

I think it stinks that I shelled out extra money for the controller and now I may have shortened the life of my batteries. The datasheet proclaims benefits of "Maxmum Energy Harvest" and "Longer Battery Life." However, if your charging levels are considerably lower than they should be, I guess you can basically replace "Maximum" and "Longer" with "Smaller" and "Shorter."

I've been charging like this for about a month...stupid of me not to check float/absorb voltage sooner.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    I ran into the same issue when testing the MorningStar Mppt unit, the internal sensor always reads high. I brought up this issue with MorningStar and pointed out that using the internal sensor would almost always result in undercharged battery's as the unit would adjust the charge voltages using the incorrect internal temperature.

There response is it was safer than no sensor and buyers should always get the remote sensor. This is why when I recommend the charger I make the point to potential purchasers also get the remote sensor.

For the OP, hooking up a PC will show ALL the operational information and lead to a fastest understanding of how the unit is operating.

If that's not an option then the manual explains is detail the led's and dip switch setting. You should be able to see a solid green with a fast blink every 5 seconds if the unit is in Mppt charging

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SSMPPT.IOM.EN.011.pdf

sg,
    i did hesitate in writing this, but seeing as how you did tell them i feel i can add my 2 cents freely. you know that if the batteries windup undercharged because of false temp readings that it is more harm than good and worse imho than nothing at all. they need to rethink all of their controllers with that internal cc sensor, but provide for the remote battery temperature sensor only for that's the only temperature that matters. as wxh3 has pointed out, they are making claims and these claims may be disputed when batteries get harmed due to a false temperature reading. they are seeing it as a safeguard, but that safeguard is causing the harm by undercharging batteries resulting in them getting a deficit charge and it will lead to the battery's early demise.
    wxh3,
    getting this corrected fast should allow you to have no to very little harm done to the batteries as the shelf life of the batteries comes into play somewhat. doing this long term would've been very detrimental to the batteries, the extent of which is depending on all other factors involved.
  • Solar Guppy

Hi Neil,

This isn't really any different than running on any other solar charge controller that doesn't have an internal/external sensor, if the battery's aren't 77F/25C, there will be non-optimal charging.

Anyone who buys a solar charger should have an external battery temperature sensor, no if's/ands/butts about it.

The SunSaver Mppt does skew a bit more than others as its very compact but I think all chargers that don't have external sensors will likely have sub-optimal charging

For the OP, I'd first hook-up a PC to see what all the operation parameters are on the SunSaver Mppt are and then with hard data ( not guessing ) can make the next logical step.

I would have the OP look at it this way, now you have a charger controller that can provide all the data so you can know exactly the energy being produced. That's essential to having a system that performs to your expectations and nothing but actual reported measurements will help you along this path. SC-View has features that MS-View does not , so get the free adapter, get the remote temperature sensor and you be further along in getting your system to its best potential
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hi SG, Neil, and OP, though I do not have the same MPPT CC, I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with SG's previous post about the RBTS or what ever you want to call it.
    IT IS ESSENTIAL.
    I did not have have one for an entire winter and as soon as I plugged it in
    ( and set up the CC), I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the charge state of my battery. Daily observations made before and after switching the BTS off/on showed the benefit gained with the BTS in the system.

I learned the hard way...

To not have one installed , regardless of make , is to have an poorly functioning system....

nuff said.

HTH

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel

i'm not disputing the battery temperature sensor's need, but when they use one inside the cc that is plain useless and detrimental to the batteries just as they do with many of the non-mppt sunsavers and they have no provision for the bts.
  • bajasurfer

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

Recap:
    [1] Charge batteries immediately.
    [2] Previous 7A SCC worked great...no ifs, ands, or buts; got batteries well over 14V during charging. PV temps are definitely not an issue.
    [3] Obtain PC link cable & check MPPT SCC data w/SC-View.
    [4] Internal temp sensor inaccurate, must use external sensor. New 15A MPPT SCC has an engineered-in flaw. Could not find correct RTS on NAWS site, need to find vendor.
    [5] After battery recharge, the cheapo controller is returning to service.

All I ever read about the Morningstar unit here were glowing reviews & occasional recommendations for a RTS. It is apparent that the RTS is not optional & should be referred to as mandatory for the benefit of anyone else who might be gleaning information from this forum.

Thanks again,
    Larry A
    aka bajasurfer
  • niel

solar guppy has been praising it and as far as i can tell it is a very good cc. i can't tell you first hand as i don't own it, but sg is an engineer and has designed many mppt ccs among other things so i have no reason to doubt it.
    as to only occassional recommendations for a bts, that is quite false as myself, crewzer, and many others have said it time and time again to get it and not just for the sunsaver mppt, but for all ccs that can take it and i've always said to get a cc that can accomodate a bts/rts if at all possible. about the only thing we didn't do was to put it into a sticky. fortunately you caught the problem and it was again said to get the bts/rts. we can lead one to water, but we can't make one see it let alone drink it as it is up to you. it is called a recommendation because we can't force you to do it.:roll:
  • Solar Guppy

Morningstar only makes one remote temperature probe and NAWS carry's it here ( and yes , it works with the Mppt unit )

http://store.solar-electric.com/prosremtempr.html
  • bajasurfer
    niel wrote: »
    ....we can lead one to water, but we can't make one see it let alone drink it as it is up to you. it is called a recommendation because we can't force you to do it.:roll:
    Hello Niel,
    I concede that "occasional" was a poor choice of words, but has anyone ever said:
    "Don't buy the SunSaver without the RTS- IT IS NOT OPTIONAL as Morningstar would have you believe."
    ?
    If so, I must've missed it. I haven't read every post on this forum yet, so maybe I'll find it some day.*

Morningstar manual, page 8:
    "The RTS.....is recommended when the ambient battery temperature differs from the ambient controller temperature by +/- 5°C (9°F) or more."

Any solar layman reading the manual & then installing the SCC in very close proximity to the batteries with ZERO [0°] difference in temperature would surmise that a remote sensor is superfluous. Why wouldn't they?

In addition, a Solar Layman/Forum Newb [SL/FN] is caught between the manufacturer's documentation & on line information from people they don't know, which are at odds with one another. This creates both a dilemma & a decision process for the SL/FN who doesn't know any better. To drink or not to drink... it feels like a gamble, not a sure thing.

Live & learn.

I've learned that a $29.95 SCC keeps my batteries fully charged, where a $233.75 SCC [out of the box, configured per manual] does not. Add another $28.16 + shipping to the already expensive SCC, & it might work better. Discussions are great, but reality is often less kind. Welcome to my reality.

Thanks,
    Larry A
    aka bajasurfer

*edit: I found it written several times in this thread, so a consensus is very clear now.
  • wxh3

One comment I have is that my ProStar which also has an internal temp sensor and uses the same charging voltage adjustment as the MPPT seemed to charge my batteries quite close to what I would expect for the rooom's temperature.

I don't know if it is really technically impossible to get a fairly accurate ambient temp from a sensor on the controller itself. The sensor on the MPPT is on the front of the unit and I believe even protrudes slightly out from it. My thought is that perhaps my MPPT's sensor is faulty and is reading considerably higher than it could and should be reading. I don't know if this problem extends to all or some MPPTs. You would hope this would be something that they would make absolutely sure was right in their units since it has such an important affect on charging. I wonder if they test the sensor in each unit.
  • bajasurfer

It turns out I've got more than solar issues to deal with.

I finally found out that my buddy Dave had used the inverter 2 days in a row with TV/xBox+12V lighting on a July weekend, when I didn't go...I figure ~1.5+ Kilowatts per day.

I took the battery bank out yesterday & brought it home. Specific gravity measured 1.1-1.14 @ ~80°F on all 12 cells. All my measurements say they are just plain dead. It's charging as I write this, but I am sullen due to little hope for recuperation... and I'm angry because it was so avoidable.

Does anyone think that dropping both batteries on Dave's head will make him understand what he's done?
  • BB.

I am very sorry to hear about your pending loss...

A battery monitor--especially for systems operated by wives/offspring/employees/visitors and such can be a big help.

The Trimetric TM2020 Battery Monitor System gets lots of love for having good function and low cost...

I really like the specs. of the Xantrex LinkLite and LinkPro because they include a programmable output. Not cheap--put you can program the output (from my understanding) for a set xx% State of Charge level to turn on an alarm or kill your inverter/etc...
    F04 Low battery alarm On (% SOC). When the State-of-charge percentage has fallen below this value, the alarm relay will be activated, the Charge battery indicator starts flashing and the State-of-charge bar is empty. Default: 50% Range: 0 – 99% Step size: 1%
    I know I sound either like a broken record (whatever that is... ;) ) or a shill for selling battery monitors--It is still the only way that a non-technical person (or a person not responsible for buying replacement batteries) will have any idea how much power they can use before they should turn off their loads. And it is a blessing for those folks that really do want or need to monitor the performance of their battery storage system.

Even if a person saves just one set of early killed batteries--they will probably break even.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bajasurfer wrote: »
    Does anyone think that dropping both batteries on Dave's head will make him understand what he's done?

If the batteries are really dead, then no, it won't help. Dead batteries have little acid, it's all in the plates. (that's why the sg is low) Might sting the eyes a bit.

Maybe have him make the trip to the store for new batteries, and haul them to the shack & install them.

--

Kirk : Scotty I need more power
    Scotty: Captain - the Dilithium Crystals wont take any more
    Bones: She's dead Jim
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bajasurfer

Thanks Bill, but my buddy would ignore the monitor like he ignored me, unless there's a monitor that uses the last breath in the batteries to apply electric shock to the moron killing them.

I've got decisions to make beyond equipment right now.
  • niel

make him replace those batteries just as mike said and then don't let him use them again because he'll feel justified in running them into the ground.
  • bajasurfer
    mike90045 wrote: »
    .....Maybe have him make the trip to the store for new batteries, and haul them to the shack & install them.

--

Kirk : Scotty I need more power
    Scotty: Captain - the Dilithium Crystals wont take any more
    Bones: She's dead Jim
    Hello Mike,
    He WILL buy the next set, but I am the shack technical support for good reason. Thanks to you & many other people here, I'm not a complete tool...but my buddy is & that won't change.

This is the 1st time I've ever shared a "vacation" house with someone, so the solar situation is only one of many. Dave's girlfriend just called me & is playing mediator. Now this topic needs to move to Dr Phil's forum, LOL.
  • bajasurfer
    niel wrote: »
    make him replace those batteries just as mike said and then don't let him use them again because he'll feel justified in running them into the ground.
    Dr Phil would say that would foment more conflict. With 3 kids & my mother-in-law visiting for months on end, I need more conflict like a hole in the head.

The old abused 85A/Hr battery is back in the shack since this is all we've got for now...he can watch TV using that, LOL.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

The anti-Captain Kirk says " Scotty, perhaps this would be useful if connected to everything but a single LED light, so the heavy hitter can see the door to leave..."

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/hot_feed/D-614_LowVoltageDisconnect.pdf

HTH
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

cudos Bill, smart people buy battery monitors stupid people buy more batteries:roll:
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Since you're not getting much (any?) cooperation from your buddy, you like using solar power and he doesn't, can you put a lockable switch in line between the battery and inverter? Have your buddy use his generator when you're not there and use your solar when you are there? Basically, limit access to your battery to times when you're there but the solar side of the system will always be intact and keep the battery charged.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • BB.

It may be better to Let BajaSurfer address the details of how to "fix" the problems off-line... I am not sure we can help much more unless asked.

-Bill
  • bajasurfer
    westbranch wrote: »
    The anti-Captain Kirk says " Scotty, perhaps this would be useful if connected to everything but a single LED light, so the heavy hitter can see the door to leave..."

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/hot_feed/D-614_LowVoltageDisconnect.pdf

HTH
    Eric
    Aye captain, much better than a hot poker in the warp drive. Thank you, that's next on my list.
  • bajasurfer
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    cudos Bill, smart people buy battery monitors stupid people buy more batteries:roll:
    People of lesser means buy what they can, when they can.

Thanks for your insight, smart guy.