KC 120s question

Chuck46
Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95
Does anyone know who to contact on the KC 120s when they start under producing?

Thanks
Chuck

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: KC 120s question

read this thread, last post is full contact information including email address's

http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/kyocera-kc-120-panel-failure-t233.html?hilit=KC120
  • Chuck46

Thanks lots Solar Guppy Thats what I needed.

Chuck
  • Chuck46

So what do you think?

KC 120-1 Pannel Temp. 32.7C
    Full solar noon sun on panels
    6 pannels measued 15.40 to 15.92 volts
    6 pannels measured 7.52 to 7.96 volts
    array open circuit voltage 19.43

This system is wired siries parrallel for a battery voltage of 24 volts. Any opiniions.

Thanks Chuck
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sounds like some of the panels are bad--if you look closely, you may see some dark/burned areas through the glass.

From what I have heard, they will replace the entire set (and may also give you some money for labor too). No reason not to contact them and get the process started.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chuck46

Thanks BB I just faxed the RA into them and am awaiting the results. I looked at the front of the pannels but with my old eyes didnt see anything. I figgure that volt meter dont lie if you got a good one:D

Thanks Chuck
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Chuck46 wrote: »
    I figgure that volt meter dont lie if you got a good one:D

I will add that we have once or twice here chased problems that did not make sense when a DVM seemed OK at some voltage/currents and looked "sort of OK if there was a problem" at others...

Given that these panels are most likely bad (bad production lot)--you don't have much risk here...

But if you ever get into debugging and certain readings don't make sense--getting/borrowing a second meter (or calibrating/checking your current meter) is worth the money/time.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • pmcall
    pmcall Registered Users Posts: 10
    BB. wrote: »
    Sounds like some of the panels are bad--if you look closely, you may see some dark/burned areas through the glass.

From what I have heard, they will replace the entire set (and may also give you some money for labor too). No reason not to contact them and get the process started.

-Bill

This was my experience. Replacement was finished just 2 days ago. I live out in the sticks, and just happen to have a Solar Install company a few miles away. My replacement set (60) was refurbished KC-120s, I heard som others were getting KC-135s a while back.