Need a recomendation for a book?

Options
hanau
hanau Registered Users Posts: 2
I am Looking to start with a 1000 watt system.

I can't afford to go total off grid just looking to run Fridge, a freezer, tv and some other 110 stuff.

I started measuring my stuff to get the wattage usage for everything.

I have been reading the forums and other info on the web.
But there is so much to learn that I start reading about panels then next thing i am over on wiring or something else.
I am jumping all over and not fully understanding.

I would like a book that everything is in one place.

Anyone have a recommendation on a book?

Comments

• ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need a recomendation for a book?

If this is not allowed, please feel free to delete:

List of Solar Energy eBooks on DropBox
    Paul
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hanau wrote: »
    I would like a book that everything is in one place.

Anyone have a recommendation on a book?

Well it's not easy to have every thing in one place, but a few people have tried.

Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, our sponsor has a lot of information in the FAQ's. It hits more on each aspect of solar and not much on over views.

Backwoods Solar has some pretty nice overviews on setting up systems and what they will be capable of in their learning center.
    If you need a paper version, it appears to still be in their catalog.

Bill has lists some books in a past post;

I know there's another thread with some other on line links with some pretty good sites, I'll see if I can track it down later.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • hanau
    hanau Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the links, it will give me some stuff to read.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options

I thought Solar Power for Dummies was a good one, for me anyway.
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options

I did some looking around a couple years ago and found what I think is an excellent single volume: Photovoltaics- Design and Installation Manual. The revised edition was published by Solar Energy International in 2007. I don't know if a new edition has been published since then, but I used the book extensively this past spring to design my small off grid system and found it very useful. It includes a detailed discussion of just about every topic you will find in this forum (although not in the same depth in some cases), e.g. load analysis, modules, batteries, controllers. inverters, wiring, sizing stand alone systems, grid tied systems, mounting modules, installation, and includes solar data and sun charts for just about every location in the US and many overseas. When there is a choice to be made, (controller type, inverter size, etc.) it includes common sense suggestions about which way to go. The best aspect, to my mind, are the worksheets. For a stand-alone system these are for, in order of the decisions to be made, load estimation, battery sizing, array sizing, controller sizing and inverter sizing. The worksheets integrate the mathematics needed to convert watts to amp hours, daily amp hours, battery efficiency, inverter efficiency,etc. Really a big help for those of us who are easily confused. After working through these exercises you'll have designed a pretty well balanced system and learned a lot. It is a educational tool as well as a design tool. You can probably tell that I like this book. Amazon has it for sale for $38. Not cheap, but neither is a solar power system.

For wiring, I consider this paper very helpful: Do the Math - My Modest Solar Setup at http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/07/my-modest-solar-setup/ The author, Tom Murphy, is a physics professor at UCSD, but don't let that put you off. It is appropriately non technical, has very usefull wiring diagrams, and book recommendations of its own.

Of course no library of books will answer every question. But then there is this forum.

Bill
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • Novaz
    Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I found this on Amazon for $15.00 gives a very general overview into all kinds of renewable energy and also covers the important area of conseration of energy its a good read

http://www.amazon.com/Renewable-Energy-Handbook-Revised-Colour-ebook/dp/B007ZDEFS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413147772&sr=8-2&keywords=alternative+energy+handbook
    Roy