Z-brackets

bratan
bratan Solar Expert Posts: 32
I want to quickly mount 100W renogy panel to my shed's shingle roof. So I ordered z-brackets made by same company. They'll be arriving today, but now I'm starting to have doubts. First of all I read that recommended gap between panel and roof should be about 6". With this I'll probably have an inch. Should it be major concern (i.e. overheating)? I'm in New York (upstate).
Second question, would using asphalt caulk around screw holes (under brackets) sufficient to prevent leaks? I mean it's a shed, not a house, but I still wan't want roof to leak :)
Any other suggestions about mounting panel?
Originally I wanted to mount it on a post, but decided I didn't want block of cement in the ground in case I want to move it...

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Z-brackets

I'd rather have it farther off the roof, there are roof mount pedestals for this. You could also use an Ironridge pole mount on the side of the building, or look at what is available and make one of your own.

Here is a link to NAWS mounting hardware.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

You will not "overheat" the panel--It will just run hotter and reduce its output somewhat (Vmp falls with increasing temperature, reducing charging ability, and reducing power output of MPPT type charge controllers).

Here is a thread with some sealant recommendations:

What is the best sealant for penetrations???

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bratan

Thanks BB! :) I will check out that thread.
    Photowit, I looked at NAWS mounting hardware, it's pretty cool! But complexity and cost just to put up one panel seems just too much. I will however revisit those options when I get more panels (really like pole mounting options). I also want to give it a try just for fun of building temporary PVC stand just so I can play with panel during the day. I've been using sawhorses and it's not very convenient :)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've picked up some old tripods at garage sales. For temp mounting, you can extended a couple 'legs' with some angle aluminum, or even some tomato stakes, to get the bottom above grass level, the use a single tripod from the top to the ground, hinged (depending on the type of tripod, but not too hard to figure out.)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bratan
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I've picked up some old tripods at garage sales. For temp mounting, you can extended a couple 'legs' with some angle aluminum, or even some tomato stakes, to get the bottom above grass level, the use a single tripod from the top to the ground, hinged (depending on the type of tripod, but not too hard to figure out.)
    Do you have picture of this? I'm having hard time imagining what it looks like :)
    BTW I successfully constructed PVC stand for solar panel even with adjustable angle. Used some 3/4" PVCs and 1" PVC for bottom of legs. Contraption holds up nicely, but a bit shakey at joints, I probably won't keep my panel on it for long time (it's been outside for 3 days so far). Pictures are coming.
    Anyway I was thinking about Z-brackets and only other thing I don't like about them (other than roof clearance gap) is fact that there's no way to take off panel without unscrewing brackets from the roof. But I found solution and it's very simple. Just use second set of Z-brackets attached to roof. Then solar panel with attached 1st set of brackets will get screwed to this second set. Kind of like ladder with 2 steps.
    No I need to find source for cheap z-brackets...
    On second thought, two L brackets attached to each other (one is flipped) will make a Z-bracket!
  • bratan

I was finally able to mount panel to the shed roof! Basically I bought aluminum 1-1/2" L angle and cut 8 4-inch pieces from it. Drilled bunch of holes and mounted like shown on the pictures. This gave me large gap between roof and panel and also makes it easy to remove panel without unscrewing brackets from the roof.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

And btw here's picture of my temporary PVC stand. It held up whole week :)
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.