3000 watt panel, power harvested in a day

Options
onthesolar
onthesolar Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have a 3000W mono panels installed. Total of 12 250W panels, which are coupled as 4 strings of 3 panels each. Have 2 charge controllers Xantrex MPPT150/60 that are connected to 6 panels each. I am located in South India and it is mostly sunny during the day. the temperature range for a day is between 85'F and 100'F. The system is connected to a 24V battery bank. During the day utility is shutdown and system runs entirely on Solar power. The loads include a refrigerator, an air conditioner, pc, modem, router, tv and 3 ceiling fans. The SCP reports a total load of ~800 watts. At the end of the day, if I check on the total harvest for day it is ~6KWH. Is this a decent harvest or is it too low. My installer says if I add more load to the system, then the harvest will be higher. Please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 3000 watt panel, power harvested in a day

Installer is likely correct, You must have some loss in a battery based system. Once the batteries are charged the Charge controllers reduce the current coming into the system. If there are loads to run the Charge Controller will allow more current into the system to offset the loads.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 3000 watt panel, power harvested in a day

Keep in mind that it is technically an off-grid system and unlike a grid-tie system there isn't always some place for the power to go. As such the accumulated kW hours will reflect how much the array supplied for use, which will vary with how much you use as well as how much could be produced.

A "total load of 800 Watts" is not constant and you do not report any hours of operation. Otherwise you could divide the 6kW hours production by the hours in use and get average power demand.

With a GT system where there is always someplace for the power potential to go the number for a 3kW array at 5 hours of equivalent good sun would be near 12kW hours for the day. Off-grid systems stop producing not only when the sun doesn't shine on the panels but also when there is no load on them. No point in adding more load and harvesting more if you don't need the power.