Quality 24v inverters

squzzie
squzzie Registered Users Posts: 9
I have found several but they all seem to be for vehicle applications.
Where can I purchase one online from a good dealer

Comments

• squzzie
    squzzie Registered Users Posts: 9
    Re: Quality 24v inverters

Samlex 24v 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter PST-2000-24
    http://www.amazon.com/Samlex-2000W-Pure-Inverter-PST-2000-24/dp/B00AYH6AK8
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    squzzie wrote: »
    I have found several but they all seem to be for vehicle applications.
    Where can I purchase one online from a good dealer

We need some idea for what size your looking at...

Mighty fine inverter out there from 600volts up that can be hard wired.

I'm becoming a fan of the Exeltech XP1100, I think NAWS (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) must get a deal on them. typically found at around $800+ they have it for $600. It can be hard wired. It's actually made for the telecommunication industry, and has their UL rating. The site says something like rated through UL 1950, not sure if that means it includes lesser ratings? perhaps some engineers will know, I though each had to be individually tested? It does have the ability to have both the DC and AC lines run to it in conduit, something even more expensive inverters require extra equipment to do, though I've seen systems that have passed inspection with out this, my understanding is it is a requirement.

But there are multitudes of different configurations. Do you need a built in charger? How many watts of output? Need generator starting?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

In decades past--Triplite was a very good company and equipment--And I hope that has continued through today.

The one thing I don't like with these computer UPS companies is the way they obviscate their specifications... For example, everyone wants to know if MSW or PSW inverter--Their specs:

http://www.tripplite.com/inverter-charger-2400w-automatic-transfer-switching~APS2424/#specs
    LINE POWER (AC): Maintains 120V nominal sine wave output from line power source. INVERTER POWER (AC): Maintains PWM sine wave output voltage of 120 V AC (+/-5%).

What the heck does that mean? Appears to pass through utility power, but PWM Sine Wave when on battery?

In the Amazon comments, a few folks have said that this appears to be a MSW type inverter... Very common to use MSW Inverters for computer UPS systems. Nothing wrong with that--But makes me not trust the company--Or at least their marketing department.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Yeah, after I posted that, I realized that this is more like a "build it yourself" UPS rather than a true inverter/charger.

I also noticed that it didn't state that it was either PSW or MSW. So, cross that one off!
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know how good Tripplite has been the past 15 to 20 years but Tripplite
    was the reason that Heart Interface and Trace Engineering were started.

Steve Johnston, around 30+ or so years ago, while sailing around the world
    had thrown several Tripplite inverters overboard when they broke and when
    he landed on Heart's beach in Costa Rica, they decided to start building
    inverters that would not break so easily. A year or so after Heart was
    started, Steve and his group of merry men came about 40 miles north
    to Arlington, WA and started Trace Engineering.

That's the story anyway.

Maybe Tripplite has gotten better lately but I don't hear much about them anymore,
    if at all.

boB