fork lift batteries

Options
Novaz
Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
While doing my research i came across these Batteries
apart from the weight and maybe the physical size what would be the downside in trying to use these for a small
Off Grid set up ,would it be that a regular Solar style charg controller would not bee able to charge the bank correctly
The main reason I ask is that i see both 12v + 24v types listed
The price point is within what i am expecting to pay for my Battery Bank eventually
Thanks
Roy

http://gbindustrialbattery.com/Forklift_Battery_Sizes_and_Specifications_Zone15.html

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: fork lift batteries

Double check the pricing/availability:
    Prices Updated Monday, April 04, 2011

With forklift batteries (flooded cell)--I would suggest closer to 10-13%+ rate of charge and you have a good supply of distilled water available (filtered rain water, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suspect the price list is correct, I think it was a year or 2 behind when I purchased mine @4 years ago.

Forklift batteries do work for solar, they have somewhat different characteristics than typical deep cycle batteries, they have a somewhat higher self discharge rate, this will become more apparent as the batteries age. They require equalizing at least monthly.

That said, NAWS (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) sells Crown forklift/traction batteries and report excellent service life, 20+ years. I purchased from the site you linked. Be aware while it is a delivered price, extra for lift gate truck if you don't have a delivery platform. Also they will say they pay all taxes, but did NOT pay the state sales tax in Missouri.

I've been happy so far, but too early to tell. They will build the battery to your specs, but appear to be incredibly dense. I asked what the charge would be to build the battery with 10' leads/connectors. After several attempts, I just asked them to build the battery with Flag terminals.

I went trough this summer adding minimal amounts of water after adding water miser battery caps, Last summer it was about 1/2 gallon a month. Summer is when my battery gets a serious workout running an A/C.

Note when comparing these batteries to other options use the 20 hour rate. They even state on the site that the rate represents the working capacity (top 80%) but I don't know if that applies only to the 6 hour rate, I suspect it does.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Novaz
    Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your replies thats really usefull that someone is using this type of battery
    Via the help i have received from this website i have changed my plans from a 12volt system to a 24 volt system
    which do you think would be the most effective way to go 1*24 volt or 2*12 in series
    Thanks
    Roy
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look at 4 x 6 volt Golf Cart batteries (GC2's) here are some http://www.trojanbattery.com/markets/ev/6v/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • fca1
    fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Options

I'm also using forklift batteries epzv "gel" and after 2 years I'm very happy with results they take some heavy loads and also some heavy charges and still working as new (if not better ).
    If Bats continue to work like this for the next 5 years we will see...
  • Photowhit
    Options

The only reason to do 2 - 12v is for the ease of moving them around!

In fact you will add connections that will have to be checked. I never planned on moving my battery, but would have preferred moving 2 - 550lb batteries rather than one 1100lb battery. I have a 12-85-13 which translates into a 12 cell battery each cell having 85 amps per positive plate(6hr rate) and 13 plates per cell (6 of which are positive). So if you purchased 2 "6-85-13" you would have the same 12 cells in series...

Please note that the 12 volt batteries are pretty tall and skinny with a width of under 8" they might be difficult to handle / keep upright.

You should plan your system based on loads, do you know what your loads will look like?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

I also bought one of the batteries from giant battery (posted link) . I have been using them for 1 year. I actually found the site from a post of photowhit on this forum. I have at least one cell that I can't get up and believe it may have been low from the factory. May have more but since commissioning I only check the highest and lowest cell for referance. Mine is 48 volt 804 amp hour, 20 hour rate. I also equalize monthly and add about 1 and 1/2 gal water monthly.

I don't know my loads so can't tell how I am doing capasity wise. I have run some big loads 4000-6000 watt loads and have no problims.

I know, to keep the sg's up, they take much higher voltage with solar then the do with a three stage grid based charger. I have the grid so don't have to worry about the battery getting low enough to not be able to use. So, I run them ten days no mater what the sun. Then I charge them while only running day time loads for as many days as it takes to get the sg's back up. Usually it takes about two to three days depending on the sun and if I try to keep my opertunity load running. Sometimes the disconect due to low voltage setting on the inverter during the ten days. usually when this happens and the battery rest for a bit it is sitting at 48 or so volts. So being loaded has a pretty big drag on voltage not related to state of charge.

I find that right after EQ the batteries will raise the sg's with a two hour absorb but at the end of the ten day period it may take a day of four and a day of 5 or 6 absorb with no night time loads to get the sg's up. I wish I had a bigger battery and more solar to charge it but can't say I am unhappy. If it last I am glad I bought it. I have never had any other batteries so I don't know much. This is my experiance and I hope you can use it in some practical fassion that is helpful.
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

Attachment not found.
    my battery
    gww
  • Photowhit
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »
    ... I have been using them for 1 year. I actually found the site from a post of photowhit on this forum. I have at least one cell that I can't get up and believe it may have been low from the factory. ...

I may have to move!:blush:

That is one stout cart!
  • gww1
    Options

I believe almost every tool I have ever owned came from my mom and dad. A lot of junk I have used in my projects came from them. I may never grow up due to this. Guess where I got the cart?
    Cheers
    gww
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options

Aren't you a bit concerned about having the battery bank indoors.

I've been running a 13000 watt, 48 volt GB battery for about 4 years now and am very happy. At 3400lbs, I had to put it in place with a stinger boom from the mine I used to work at.
  • gww1
    Options

I am more concerned that the wall behind it will turn to mush and the charge controler will probly corrode due to the cooling fan pulling battery mist through it. I have had it for a little over a year and when I got it I had plans of inclosing and venting of at least a hood like over a stove but I spent so much time in front of it trying to learn a good charging pattern that I sort of got used to it. I had a golf cart battery blow up in that exact location and believe me that was very impressive.
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

backwood
    PS I don't want to tell the story of how I got that battery on that cart cause it wouldn't make me look that smart. surfice it to say their was an atv involved and it did get done only on the edge of desaster.
    gww
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the 12-125-17 in use for almost 3 years. Haven't noticed any change in the battery. They advertise an 80% DoD which makes sense since the batteries are meant to drive a forklift around during the day and be charged overnight. Mine has never been below 50%. If you plan to cycle it down low, you need enough charge to bring it back without short cycling. Like others have said, the SGs and voltages are different on these. Behavior is a bit different. Seems the SG and voltages are both skewed higher than other batteries. The cells are usually tall and so you need decent charging sources to gas the battery to stir the electrolyte which means you need to add water. You need higher charge set points to do this. I think mine is set at 29.6, eq at 31. IIRC, the battery documents say equalize every 5th charge. With 2-3 hr absorb, that seems to be overkill. They have solid interconnects which could be good or bad. Less cells to fill in some cases. They are heavy. I built a dolly to roll it into place and then built the battery box around that. One thing I have noticed is that the electrolyte level can swing low to high if there is a large temperature change. I haven't had a problem, but seems like if the electrolyte level was lowish when the battery was hot and the battery temp dropped, the level could drop below the plate. Perhaps this is more noticeable because the cells are so tall.

If there is any chance your small installation is going to get bigger, I would recommend 48v.
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options

jtdiesel65, you mention battery temps. With my GB forklift battery being built within a solid steel case, I'm not able to get to the side of my batteries to place a sensor. Suggestions?
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The battery post has a good thermal connection to the inside of the cell too. Just make sure that your temperature sensor is insulated.
    One potential drawback would be if a bad jumper wire connection caused local heating at the post.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

Glue/double stick tape the sensor to the middle of the case--Then put a block of styrofoam over the sensor (with a pocket carved out to give room to the sensor/wiring). Should work fine. Somebody here put the foam between a pair of cells or side of box to hold the foam in place.

The sensor will be at the temperature of the battery--or close enough for government work.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    The sensor will be at the temperature of the battery--or close enough for government work.

Gosh, I hope it's not that bad!
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options
    backroad wrote: »
    jtdiesel65, you mention battery temps. With my GB forklift battery being built within a solid steel case, I'm not able to get to the side of my batteries to place a sensor. Suggestions?

The cells of my battery are also enclosed in steel case. I have 2 on the post and two stuck to outside of the case. They seem to track close to the same, but my battery is also in a battery box within a building.