inverter choice advise

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
Ok my xantrex sw2000 finally looks like it is going to die after being overworked and its an opportunity for me to switch my system to 48v nominal and adding a more robust work horse inverter.
However in am contemplating on the choice of the new 48v inverter ,my choices are outback radian 4048, xantrex 4548,magnum 4448 or outback 3648. I am more concern on performance and longevity of the inverter rather than size .Please advise!!!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: inverter choice advise

I don't have any off grid power systems (GT Solar for me+backup genset). But from recent readings--Outback first, Schneider second, and Magnum a bit of a wild card (less expensive--But some have reported poor AC voltage regulation, like dimming/flickering lights when well pump starts).

Good luck--The new inverter/chargers have a lot of new/interesting functions (generator support, Hybrid Off Grid/Grid Tied support, very programmable integrated battery chargers with good efficiency).

On the other-hand, these highly complex inverter/chargers have had some design and firmware issues at times--Which for some folks, have been a real issue.

I would suggest studying the features/options/communications functions of the major inverter companies, and try to narrow down the search that way at first. Then look at what is left for specific reviews on reliability and such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mahendra

AS always thanks.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real suggestions, I've been considering Outback's 3524 vs Schnieder/Xantrex's 4024, but will you be able to reconfigure your 12v battery bank for 48v? and I don't understand the "networked 0.96kw on classic lite" I guess another power source other than the 1.4kw solar(?) Just looking at it as possibly waiting until your battery bank is close to failure and upgrade both, if your inverter has any life left in it...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mahendra

well i do have two arrays one is made up of true 24v panels and the other of grid type panels they are actually configured to suit 48v systems(was not intentional),and yes my battery bank can be reconfigured for 48v nominal
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mahendra wrote: »
    was not intentional
    I know what you mean, I would much rather have a 48v system, but had a smaller system I had intended to use for the next 15 years or so and had some 'rule' changes that persuaded me to move.

I looked over my notes and I had decided on the Outback inverter, due to the lower power usage of the unit, I think, from my faulty memory the Outback used in the mid 20 watt verse around 40 watts for the Schnieder. I think the Schnieder also had some issues with communications, though that did not bother me as I was considering it as a stand alone inverter. You might search through the forum and see what issues the Schnieder/Xantrex has, it's a relatively new unit so perhaps just working out the bugs. More from my faulty memory, the Schnieder I think weighs 16-20lbs more, but could just be poor recollection.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭

I recently upgraded from a Xantrex SW2000 to an Outback Radian 4048. For now I use it as a stand alone inverter to run opportunity loads but I wanted an inverter that I could grid tie down the road. I originally wasn't focused on 240v but I started thinking if I'm going to buy a quality inverter I might as well go all in and get one that can do 240v. I chose the Outback over the other brands mostly because of what I've read about their reliability. I don't want to have to buy another inverter for a long time. If I had the money I would have gone for the 8048 but even the 4048 was a stretch. I'm not using it to it's full potential but I'm growing my system one piece at a time.

So far so good with the Radian. It draws more idle power than I'd like but I guess that's the price you pay for 240v capability.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I looked over my notes and I had decided on the Outback inverter, due to the lower power usage of the unit
    Wxboy wrote: »
    So far so good with the Radian. It draws more idle power than I'd like but I guess that's the price you pay for 240v capability.

If the OP does not need 240 volts (as he claims here), then I agree with Photowhit, tare loss is an important feature and the Outback vfx looks very good.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ButchDeal
    ButchDeal Solar Expert Posts: 35
    vtmaps wrote: »
    If the OP does not need 240 volts (as he claims here), then I agree with Photowhit, tare loss is an important feature and the Outback vfx looks very good.

--vtMaps

I only needed 240V for the well so decided on the 120V Flexpower 1 with GTFX inverter and a PSX-240 transformer for the well pump. It only comes on when the well needs power and a lot cheaper than jumping up to a full 240V system.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ButchDeal wrote: »
    I only needed 240V for the well so decided on the 120V Flexpower 1 with GTFX inverter and a PSX-240 transformer for the well pump. It only comes on when the well needs power and a lot cheaper than jumping up to a full 240V system.

GTFX? Do you mean GVFX? If so, why GVFX rather than VFX? The GVFX inverters have some nice features that the VFX do not have, but if you expect to use a generator with the system, be aware that the GVFX inverters can be very fussy about the quality of your generator's AC.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

If your going to use a GVFX3524 off grid you want to get the GVFX3524LA. The " LA " models are made for Latin America and are not ETL certified for Grid use here to sell power. They will work just fine in every other way. There looser settings will allow a wider use of generator input.

http://outbackpower.com/outback-products/inverters-chargers/item/vented-gvfx3524la-60hz?category_id=444
  • ButchDeal
    ButchDeal Solar Expert Posts: 35
    vtmaps wrote: »
    GTFX? Do you mean GVFX? If so, why GVFX rather than VFX? The GVFX inverters have some nice features that the VFX do not have, but if you expect to use a generator with the system, be aware that the GVFX inverters can be very fussy about the quality of your generator's AC.

--vtMaps

Mine is Grid Tied and is based on the GTFX3048
    http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-products/inverters-chargers/item/sealed-gtfx3048
    http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/flexpower_one/flexpower_one_specsheet.pdf

Currently no generator and likely not going to have one. I like reducing my power bill while having backup power when needed.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

You can actually optimize power by going hybrid using micro inverters and the smallest off grid inverter.

What is your system size?

To optimize for the price (IF) it were me I would afford the magnum and install 2000watts of panels (as example, you can have much smaller arrays in 48V), then with the rest of panels enphase micro inverter. The micro inverters would deliver a AC current back to the magnum and the magnum charge controller would charge the batteries. The magnums are cheap however and you are taking a gamble especially when you read the fine print for their warranty, I believe they have a 2 year limit.

As long as the off grid inverter will yield a 60hz frequency the micro inverters will harvest and produce. However this all requires 240v which OP says he doesn't need, but there are 120V micro inverters but they haven't been approved for maximum harvest efficiency.

That's the highest level of optimization.